News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainshockeylifE

Is anyone on this thread going to the Worlds Greatest Hobby show this coming weekend?

grandpuff

Griffin:

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am also inspired by the work shown here by others.

I am not so sure about talented but more so just experienced. I have been building HO scale models for over 60 years now. Anyone would be expected to learn a few things over that many years, but thank you again for your comments. This project although HO scale is really working on an N scale mechanism and that has been very difficult indeed. The Mighty Mac project has been much harder than my Duke project.

I have just finished the final assembly of my Mighty Mac project and I am now trying to eliminate a small bind in one of the steamy boogies. I will post a few photos here soon and post a video as soon as I get the mechinism running freely. I have also started work on my Elsbridge open air coaches to go with Mighty Mac.

Thanks again,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Angelob6660

Hey grand puff,

I have a model suggestion for you. I thought of Smudger that will go with your Duke. It said it has the same model as Rheneas.

Since Fearless Freddy will be quite a challenge. After your Mighty Mac project.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

grandpuff

Hello to All:

Here are a few photos of my completed Mighty Mac locomotive. The locomotive kit is from Langley Models in the UK. The power chassis is from a Bachmann N scale GP-50. The lining tape is by Line-O-Tape from Mega Hobby. The brass nameplates are from Narrow Planet also in the UK. I know that the series loco did not have nameplates but I have decided to add them anyway. This has been one of the most difficult projects I have ever attempted and definitely not for the inexperienced modeler.

Now I am working on 3 Elsbridge open air coaches to go with my Mighty Mac. The Peco coaches in the last photo are just place holders until I finish these. I may also consider building a set of the red coaches as well. Thank you all for your suggestions on what to do next, but after the coaches are done that will probably be it for this Winters projects. During the Spring, Summer, and Fall I spend most of my time at Train Mountain in Oregon running my 1/8th scale trains. If anyone is interested you can see my videos at my YouTube channel just search for RXRBILL.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Angelob6660

The finished product looks amazing!!

I always wanted a build a 1/8 scale locomotive and freight cars. To bad I don't the skills, tools and thousands of dollars.

Enjoy your railroad trips in Oregon Grandpuff.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Angelob6660

I received my first box van (blue) and one slate wagon. Next week I'll get the gondola in the mail to go with Skarloey and Rheneas.

I was a little disappointed about the size of the boxcar I thought it would be a little bigger/ longer than the slate car. I need more slate wagons probably 9 or 10.
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

My new project that I will work on soon is really going to Rock n' Roll!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Angelob6660

That's so cool, to see Duncan. Looking forward to future installments.
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

Anyone on here planning on getting one of the Bachmann Baldwins that are getting released this year?  Might be worth picking up if you want another RTR engine to go with Skarloey and Rheneas while Rusty is still delayed and no new engine got announced this year.

grandpuff

Hello To All:

Well since the 2018 Announcement excitement is dying down a little I thought I would post the completion photos for my green and cream open air coaches which I think turned out OK. I am glad to have them to go behind my Mighty Mac loco having previously completed my blue and cream coaches to go with my Duke loco which can be seen on page 9 of this thread. I am very happy to hear that the red coaches were announced and I am planning on getting 3 or 4 of those when ever they are released.

I have also decided that since it would be very difficult to add some narrow gauge track to my existing HO layout I am planning on building a separate 2 foot by 4 foot narrow gauge layout using John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid track plan as shown below using N Scale track and Bachmann's Resin buildings which I just found out are very expensive. I think that this track plan will work out very well when built as a narrow gauge railroad in this 2 foot by 4 foot size.

Chaz, I am looking forward to seeing progress on your Duncan project. This is a very smart move on your part especially after seeing the 2018 announcements. We do still have Rusty to look forward to this year, but with no loco announced this year that means no loco next year. Also if Peter Sam and Sir Handel do get made some day it will probably be 5 years before we ever see Duncan.

Chaz, can you give us a little more info on that Baldwin loco, looks pretty cool to me.

I also called TW to ask when Rusty would be available for pre-order and I was told that as soon as they get firm pricing info and a tentative release date that Rusty will be available for pre-order so I was told to check back in a few weeks.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

grandpuff, you continue to inspire me with your work. So much so, actually, that I'm planning my own small desktop narrow gauge layout. With that being said, any chance you could details your methods for painting the Shapeways coaches and installing couplings/wheels and what brand of these two items you use? They look so good and I'd love to give it a try myself!
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

grandpuff

Griffin:

To answer your questions about the painting and finishing of my Shapeways models here goes. I usually use my Paashe double action air brush that I have used for many years in my HO modelling. I have also used small rattle cans when I can find the colors I need. I have also used larger rattle cans on a few projects when I can again find the colors that I need. The larger cans only work well if the model will be painted just one color. The trouble with rattle cans is that they usually deliver too much paint too fast.This is a problem when the model is being painted in more than one color as the large paint volume will usually bleed under the masking. This can be a problem with the small rattle cans also if too much paint is applied. The rough texture on the 3D printed models is also a problem when masking. I use good quality blue painters tape to mask my models being painted and make sure that the tape edges are pressed down firmly and most importantly apply the paint sparingly in multiple light coats.

To finish my models I use Micro Trains N scale 33 inch wheel sets. They come in black or brown, I use the brown. These come 48 to a package so I have been using that one package for all of my recent projects. I also use Peco OO9 coupler pockets and coupler sets. The couplers are Peco GR-102 which come 4 to a package. The coupler pockets are Peco GR-103 which come 8 to a package. I have been cutting off the mounting tab on the coupler boxes and mounting just the actual pockets to the bottom of the 3D cars as this makes them the same coupler height as my Bachmann cars and locos. I have been ordering these from the UK as they are hard to find in the USA.

I hope this helps you and I will be interested in seeing your efforts.
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

TerencetheTractor525

Marvelous work grandpuff! I love how you even took the time to add miniature figures in the carriages. The track plan looks great as well. What resin buildings do you plan to incorporate?Additionally, have you by any chance considered adding in a slate quarry with an incline? The reason why I mention this is that the Bachmann UK range has a wonderful resin incline winding house, as shown in the link.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/182304/Bachmann_Branchline_44_0049_Stone_built_Incline_winding_house/StockDetail.aspx

Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

First and foremost granpuff the green narrow gauge coaches you made have turned out wonderfully.  I especially like the added passengers that you added to them.  For open carriages like those, passengers on board those seats look a lot nicer rather than no one sitting in the seats.

With regards to Duncan, the idea is to make him look closer to how he should have looked on the show.  I do hope that we get Peter Sam and Sir Handel before Duncan.  I'm hoping Peter Sam gets announced next year (with some brake vans) and if Sir Hayden's overhaul (Sir Handel's basis) is completed by then that Bachmann can look into making him next, thus having them alongside our Duke models.

The Baldwins were announced in 2014 and will be released (hopefully) sometime in the spring.  They are being made by Bachmann UK and are available for preorder on Hattons.

Good luck on the layout expansion!

grandpuff

Hello to All:

Terrance, thank you for the Hatton's link to the incline winding model. I will consider your suggestion to model the incline. There is a location on the upper branch line where that may work. The Bachmann resin buildings I am looking at include a Maitwaithe Station, Engine House, Signal Box, Brendan Warehouse, Square Water Tank, and a Peco 6 inch N scale turntable which should work well for OO9. I am surprised at how expensive these models are but they do look good. Luckily with just a 2 by 4 foot layout I will not need too many.

Chaz, I appreciate your kind comments on my modeling efforts very much. I am looking forward to seeing progress on your Duncan model. I too hope that Bachmann will decide to do Peter Sam next followed by Sir Handel. In fact since both locos share the same wheel arrangement and possibly the chassis could be shared by both they could perhaps be developed at the same time. In fact I believe that the real reason no locos were announced this year is so that they can get out ahead this year on what may be announced next year. We will just have to wait and see. At least we have Rusty to look forward to this year.

Thank you all,
Grandpuff

Grandpuff