News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelob6660

That's very impressive work Chaz. Duncan looks great.

Is the yellow color correct but I also believe it's the lighting making the color dull.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

It's the right shade of yellow, a little brighter to what matches the livery in season 4.  The second photo is naturally brighter since I took that picture right after the paint was sprayed on.  Once he is weathered he will look a little closer to what he looks like on the show.  He will also be the only narrow gauge engine in my collection that will be weathered as a reference to him not being polished in "Passengers and Polish".
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

grandpuff

Very nice work so far on your Duncan loco. It was a smart decision on your part to do Duncan now since it will most likely be 3-5 years before Bachmann gets around to doing Duncan assuming that they will do Peter Sam and Sir Handel first. Since they both have the same wheel arrangement as Skarloey perhaps that may simplify the tooling somewhat.

Thank you for sharing your progress with us all here.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

BassTbone

Kemptown Branch

Has anyone used the metal Micro Trains wheels on the Shapeways rolling stock? If so, how well did they work?
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Chaz

Had to remodel part of my section due to another member at the club adding a bridge on the dual gauge line above my 009 loop.  Fortunately progress has been coming along, hoping to have it finished next month.

grandpuff

Chaz:

Nice scenery work, always glad to see layout photos. I have been looking for tunnel portals for my narrow gauge layout too and HO portals are of course too big and the N scale ones I have seen are too small. The one pictured looks about right for HOn30 so I would like to know who makes it if you know.

Thank you for any info,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Chaz

Sorry I forgot to respond, don't know the make but if you want measurements of the portal I can send them to you in a personal message.

Angelob6660

If I bought something in Europe. What shipping method should I get.

I saw a Peco brown box van and slate wagons at Hattons. Should it matter if the slate wagons don't have the wooden bumpers? Or was this added for the Thomas line?

I also wanted to get 2 signs for my future locomotives from Narrow Planet.

Yes this is first time ordering something from overseas international country.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

J70Toby

Quote from: angelob6660 on April 29, 2018, 02:38:29 PM

For Hatton's, I've never had an issue with the default shipping method.  It isn't too expensive and takes about a week and a half.  Not sure if there was a reason, but it took a little longer when I bought locos versus only rolling stock.

BassTbone

Quote from: angelob6660 on April 29, 2018, 02:38:29 PM

I saw a Peco brown box van and slate wagons at Hattons. Should it matter if the slate wagons don't have the wooden bumpers? Or was this added for the Thomas line?

I also wanted to get 2 signs for my future locomotives from Narrow Planet.

Yes this is first time ordering something from overseas international country.
PECO stock is compatible with Bachmann OO9 stuff.  The Bachmann Thomas Narrow Gauge line is mostly modelled off the Talyllyn Railway, where all the stock has buffers of some kind.  The PECO stock is based off the Lyton and Barnstaple Railway and the Ffestiniog Railway, where they lack two front buffers. 

When I buy from Hattons, the 2 day shipping ($16 is a good deal) is the best for me. 

With Narrow Planet, your wait period is about 4-6 weeks.

grandpuff

Sorry not to have replied sooner, but I have been up to Train Mountain in Oregon all last week. Thanks for the info on the tunnel portals Chaz, I will keep looking for some N scale portals that will work on my HOn30 layout.

Very nice progress on your Duncan indeed, thanks for sharing. If you have any trouble figuring out how the body comes off of the Minitrains Stainz loco used as the drive for Duncan, just un-screw the smoke stack and it all comes off. It took me awhile to figure that one out. Looking forward to seeing further progress on Duncan.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Angelob6660

J70Toby and BassTbone thanks for the comments.
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

Quote from: grandpuff on May 03, 2018, 06:56:04 PM
Very nice progress on your Duncan indeed, thanks for sharing. If you have any trouble figuring out how the body comes off of the Minitrains Stainz loco used as the drive for Duncan, just un-screw the smoke stack and it all comes off. It took me awhile to figure that one out. Looking forward to seeing further progress on Duncan.

Good to know, thanks!  I just ordered the Minitrains Stainz loco this weekend and it should be shipping soon.  Apart from some last remaining parts, Duncan is really starting to come together now!

TrainshockeylifE

Chaz, what type of track do you use?