Dim headlight on 4-8-4 Northern

Started by JRP, May 08, 2016, 12:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRP

My 4-8-4 Northern came new with a fairly dim headlight and very bright rear light on the tender.  I have since added the Soundtraxx HEAVY STEAM decoder and am wondering how I can reverse the lighting....make the headlight brighter and the rear light same or at least not brighter.  Do I have to take apart the engine to get to the headlight?  It's about 8 years old. I don't know if the existing lights are LED's or incandescent bulbs.  Any suggestions are welcome.

JRP

brokenrail

You are going to have to take it apart and rework the front headlight.Do as much research as you can with led lights.They require a resistor on the positive wire to the led a 1/4 watt 800 to 1000 ohm resistor.They are much better then bulbs.Last much longer ,produce less heat and draw less current.Also in my opinion are much brighter .Look for the sunny white style.
Johnny

JRP

Johnny,  thank you for responding.  Yes, I was afraid of that.  But will have to take apart if I want to improve the headlight.
I am very familiar with LED's as I install them in all my diesel locos.  They are so much brighter than bulbs and are fairly easy to install.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Regards,
JRP