News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam wish list.

Started by Royce Wilson, May 10, 2016, 07:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

Bachmann if you ever consider making another engine please consider the Baldwin 0-4-2T Locomotive used by the Fairymead Sugar Co. LTD.these were small 24" gauge engines but will do fine in 30" for us.

See July/Aug Narrow gauge & Shortline Gazette drawing.

These engines ran in Queensland.

These engines are small and would go great with the 18ft freight cars or a industrial tram.

Royce Wilson

Royce Wilson

I guess nobody agrees with me and what a shame for the people that model true 30"gauge or 2ft gauge because this is a great industrial engine and the Aussies should be jumping up and down for this,I have always have had a soft spot for sugar cane trains.

Little engines on light track.

Royce

NotHarryPotter

Actually Royce,
you are right on the money as far as a suitable locomotive for canefields, mining and light logging uses.
A pretty loco like this (and she is pretty) could be the new "Porter" for Bachmann
see her at: http://www.lmlr.org.au/locomotives/index.htm
Restored on the Lake Macquarie Light Railway in NSW Australia.  :) :) :)
regards
Geoff

Royce Wilson

Thanks for the site!.

Please Bachmann you have made engines for everyone else so why not take a look at these Aussie sugar cane engines because this is actually what we need in On30.

We don't need another large engine because most modelers now have had to down size and this would really fit the bill.

Just alter the disconnect cars you already have to a sugar cane car and we are ready!.

Royce

Royce Wilson

That site that noharrypotter gave us also has some neat diesels with fly cranks.

Royce

Hamish K

The question is whether Bachmann will produce another new locomotive and what they will do with ON30 now that it's  glory days seem to be well over. I hope they continue with a small but rotating range of locomotives and a basic collection of rolling stock. Rotating models increases modellers choices over time. A small tank engine would seem to be an obvious model to produce, replacing the Porters with an alternative would be a good idea, I would  buy at least one, but I have enough Porters! Your choice Royce would be good, I know similar locomotives ran in Japan and probably many other places including the USA..

Hamish

railtwister

Now that Lee Riley has so sadly passed, I wonder how much longer we will see Bachmann continue to produce any On30. As a modeler, Lee had a different perspective than most other corporate executive types, which was fortunate for all of us in the On30 community.

I had long hoped for an upgrade to the old 2-6-0 (as was announced last year, with metal gears!), and also an upgrade of the Davenport side rod gas-mechanical similar to what was done on the Porter 0-4-0's and 0-4-2's a couple of years ago. However, the loco I most want, but doubt I'll see, is really one of the SR&RL prairies (preferably #23 or #24), which would go so well with the already produced Bachmann On30 Forneys.

I agree that sugar cane equipment (both locos and cars) would be a welcome addition, as well as a banana transport boxcar, all of which could go well with the 18' shorty car series. One thing we haven't seen, which sort of puzzles me, is new paint & graphics on the already available rolling stock (more Maine 2 footers, for instance). Maybe the warehouses are just too full of the current roadnames that aren't moving.

Bill in FtL

p51

What is the market for Aussie stuff within the hobby? I have no idea. To say a company should make something because a few people want it, doesn't make much business sense if there's not a large enough base for people to buy said item.
A few that might possibly sell to US fans could be:
US Army 2-8-2:

East Broad Top loco:

White Pass & Yukon 70-series locomotives:

Quote from: railtwister on May 12, 2016, 08:26:54 AM
Now that Lee Riley has so sadly passed, I wonder how much longer we will see Bachmann continue to produce any On30. As a modeler, Lee had a different perspective than most other corporate executive types, which was fortunate for all of us in the On30 community.
I wonder, this, as well. he was almost out the door on retirement when he passed, so Bachmann surely had something in mind for On30 when he was gone either way.
-Lee

Hamish K

There is some market for On30 in Australia, a couple of ready to run locomotives have been made by small makers for Australia. I doubt that it is large enough by itself for Bachmann to produce a locomotive - but the Fairymead loco is a Baldwin catalogue locomotive and similar locos ran elsewhere. An ex Japanese example is preserved in California. Others probably ran in the USA. Choosing a loco type that ran in many parts of the world as well as the USA could increase its sales.

The US army 2-8-2 mentioned did run in Australia, on the 3 foot 6 inch gauge in Queensland, and a couple are preserved in Australia. It really comes down to size  of model desired-  these 3 foot/metre/3 foot 6 inch gauge locos are large, larger than anything that ran on 2 foot or 2 foot six inch gauges in Australia, so they wouldn't suit those modelling those gauges. 42 inch gauge modelling in Australia is usually Sn42 (1/64 scale on HO track, or HOn42 (HO scale on 12 mm gauge track, also used for metre gauge.)

Hamish

ebtnut

Here's what I would like to see - This Sandy River Mogul.  It's small enough to fit in with Bachmann's On30 theme, and kind of a neat engine.  https://maineon2faq.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/dmlrhs04.jpg

p51

Quote from: Hamish K on May 12, 2016, 10:08:22 PM
The US army 2-8-2 mentioned did run in Australia, on the 3 foot 6 inch gauge in Queensland, and a couple are preserved in Australia.
There are a bunch of them preserved all over the place. I've seen several in the US and ridden the cab of one (190, at Tweetsie RR in Blowing Rock, NC), the one on the right here:

The earlier photo of 195 at Skagway, Alaska wasn't mine, but I have seen that one twice.
-Lee

finderskeepers

still waiting on a decent sized 3 truck shay. If a 30-50 ton Heisler ever comes out, I would be interested in that too. I think the climax is a good size, its too bad that the shay and heisler chosen were "pocket sized". :-\

Ken Clark

Braden Copper Co  B 42T #5  SN 2257 is on display at Colon Alto Chile
     last of 9 B-42T and 1-B 45T   (30" gauge)
                                     C 60T #14 SN 2876  on display at Rangagua  Chile
     last of 6  C-60T (( 30" gauge) operated by them.
         Baldwin-Whitcomb 60T C-C diesels (30" gauge) replaced them in late 1949-1950,
    10 Road and 3 Switcher engines.

Ken Clark
         GWN 

ScottyB

Agreed. Anything made in Bachmann's G scale line would look great in On30. The shay(s), climax, and heisler all have nice proportions to each other in G.

Quote from: finderskeepers on May 21, 2016, 02:53:31 AM
still waiting on a decent sized 3 truck shay. If a 30-50 ton Heisler ever comes out, I would be interested in that too. I think the climax is a good size, its too bad that the shay and heisler chosen were "pocket sized". :-\

On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Dbarefoot

How about an 8-18c  4-4-0 or an 8-18d 2-6-0 locomotive, that we could all use. Like the Eureka or Glenbrook

Rock On!
~Dusten