News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What Decoder For G Scale 3-Truck Shay?

Started by Dennis the whistler, May 12, 2016, 01:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis the whistler

Tried calling Bachmann to see what Bachmann Decoder I should use in my "DCC READY" G Scale 3-truck Shay. Was told Bachmann no longer made decoders and was sent to another company that I was assured would have the correct decoder. Person I spoke with had no idea what decoder I should use. Now, since Bachmann decoders are abundant on eBay, can anyone tell me which one would work in my Shay? Thank you for all replies!!!

P.S. The "another company" was Soundtraxx. 

Hunt

Just did a 'Bachmann DCC decoder' search on ebay.  No Bachmann decoder listed is suitable for the large scale Bachmann 3-truck Shay.  Forget using a Bachmann decoder. You will be using another brand decoder. The Shay requires a 3-amp with 4 or 5-amp decoder being better.

Refer you back to the information Kevin Strong provided
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,32007.msg237389.html#msg237389

1) What DCC system will you use to run the Shay?
2) Do you want sound?

Bucksco

You may want to try one of the new SoundTraxx Eco-400 decoders that are designed for Large Scale use. Many Bachmann locomotives in various scales are equipped with SoundTraxx decoders.
http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/econami/eco400.php

Kevin Strong

The Soundtraxx Econami is a great option for a decoder. You'll want the 4-amp version, definitely. I just put one in my Bachmann K-27, and it's great! Motor control is very good, and the sounds are fantastic. The decoder comes with a "geared chuff" option on the chuff sound, so you can tune it for your Shay. Expect to pay between $125 - $150.

As alternatives, you can look at the QSI Titan or ESU LokSound 4.0. These are more expensive, up around $200 or so. They also sound very good. I've got a QSI in my Bachmann Climax. I've not personally installed the LokSound decoder, but I've heard a demo one in a Bachmann Shay at a train show and was impressed.

TCS is also going to soon be releasing a 5-amp version of their "WowSound" decoder. I don't know where that's going to fall in the price spectrum. I've got one of their HO decoders in my LGB Porter, and I've been impressed with it as well.

There are a few others (Zimo, Massoth, Piko) but the US sound library isn't very extensive on those. I like the Econami, QSI, and TCS boards because they come loaded with many options, and you can customize your decoder without needing to download a new sound file to it every time. Want a new whistle? Change the CV. Voila!

Later,

K