News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Buzzing Sound-Value S2

Started by genetk44, May 13, 2016, 03:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: genetk44 on May 15, 2016, 06:45:22 PM
Ok thanks Hunt. Since I'm on the road for the next 18 days not much I can do until I return. I only have a 6 ft long switching layout so I can't do a long run,I'm limited that way. When I get back home I'll run. The lloco with cv217 at 0 and see how it behaves with other locos on the layout. I'll also see if I can get another decoder from Bachmann.

I'm reluctant to send it back because doing so from Canada requires various customs documentation, postage charges  plus this loco cost me quite a bit with the currency exchange and customs duty....unless Bachmann is willing to waive any kind of return/restocking charges a replacement loco gets very expensive, especially if I get hit by Canada customs again.

These are all reasons I normally prefer to buy locally from my local hobby-shop.

1)  Buying a loco from the USA does not result in custom's charges.

2)  Customs paper work takes seconds to fill out, you do it at the post office.

3)  When ordering from the USA, ALWAYS insist on the seller sending USPS.  Why anyone wants to use a courier for models I don't know.  Surely you can wait a week for a model?

4)  When ordering from the USA, if the order is under something like $200, Canada Post usually does not collect the GST.  Canada post charges $6.00 for brokerage fees Vs something like $50 to $60 if you use one of the American courier services.

5)  Using Canada post to the USA is cheap, maybe $10 at most.

6)  On the customs declaration to the USA write "Returning for warranty work" and put the value of the locomotive.

7)  Be aware, that no matter what you write on the covering note to Bachmann asking them to send back a custom painted and detailed locomotive, they will just grab a new one from the shelves and send that back to you.  You will not get back the same loco.  I've been bitten twice after send them custom painted and detailed engines and just getting some random loco back from stock.

8)  Ask Bachmann to write onto the USA customs form, "Returning after warranty work".  That way you will avoid any GST but may still have to pay the $6.00 brokerage fee.

Shipping to and from the USA is not complicated.  I purchase most of my locos from the USA as they are way cheaper than in Canada, though I must admit I usually purchase a minimum of two at a time as the cost for shipping two are about the same as shipping one.

Cheers

Roger T.

genetk44

Thank you for all that Roger. Just so you know..it took 10 days for my loco to arrive from Bachman and Canada Customs did hit me for duty on it. And I wouldn't be asking for some custom loco.

Hunt

Quote from: brokenrail on May 15, 2016, 07:37:34 PM
. . .
My dda40x sound value . . .

Johnny

An Aside >>>

Johnny,
Keep in mind, the Sound Value decoder factory installed in a HO scale Bachmann DD40AX has a different feature set than other decoders in the SoundTraxx OEM Bachmann Sound Value family of decoders.

rogertra

Quote from: genetk44 on May 15, 2016, 10:09:24 PM
Thank you for all that Roger. Just so you know..it took 10 days for my loco to arrive from Bachman and Canada Customs did hit me for duty on it. And I wouldn't be asking for some custom loco.

The North American Free Trade Agreement says there's no duty and in addition, it was coming back from repairs, which again is duty fee as any duty, if it was applicable, had already been paid.  Are you sure it was duty and not some other charge, like  $6.00 brokerage fee?  I've never been charged duty when importing from the USA since NAFTA came into being and I've imported dozens of model railroad items from the USA in that time and only a few times have I been charged GST (provincial sales tax is not applicable) and that's when the total has been in excess of $200.00.

Really, I suggest you look into it as an item being returned after warranty work should also be tax free.

Cheers

Roger T.

genetk44

Ok..you seem to be confused. This loco, the S2 is brand new,it has not gone back for repair. It is the one that got hit with duty.

rogertra

Quote from: genetk44 on May 16, 2016, 10:21:07 PM
Ok..you seem to be confused. This loco, the S2 is brand new,it has not gone back for repair. It is the one that got hit with duty.

Still no duty according to NAFTA rules.

Are you sure it was duty and not GST and the Canada Post $6.00 brokerage fee?

Cheers

Roger T.

brokenrail

Quote from: Hunt on May 16, 2016, 12:30:02 AM
Quote from: brokenrail on May 15, 2016, 07:37:34 PM
. . .
My dda40x sound value . . .

Johnny
DDA40X or DD40AX ?

An Aside >>>

Johnny,
Keep in mind, the Sound Value decoder factory installed in a HO scale Bachmann DD40AX has a different feature set than other decoders in the SoundTraxx OEM Bachmann Sound Value family of decoders.

Hunt

An Aside >>>

Quote from: brokenrail on May 17, 2016, 12:00:25 AM

DDA40X or DD40AX ?

The records of the builder EMD (Electro Motive Division) and the records of Union Pacific Railroad refer to the locomotive as DDA40X.

Bachmann Trains labels its model of the locomotive DD40AX.

genetk44

Quote from: rogertra on May 16, 2016, 11:14:19 PM
Quote from: genetk44 on May 16, 2016, 10:21:07 PM

Still no duty according to NAFTA rules.

Are you sure it was duty and not GST and the Canada Post $6.00 brokerage fee?

Cheers

Roger T.

I'll double check when I return home in 3 weeks.

genetk44

So....got home this past Friday night after being on the road for 3 weeks.
Spent some time the past few days working on this S2.....I decided to reset all CVs back to factory settings and start over on solving the various noise problems. I know a couple of you felt that my changeing CV217 was a mistake so it too was reset to factory default.

First thing I did after doing the factory reset was to remove the cab and cut-off the 2 yellow resistors and give it another hour of break-in running in each direction followed by a thorough cleaning and lubricating of the drive-train and bearings.....this has definately gotten rid of almost all the grinding/growling noise that the loco came with...oiling the worm gear and motor bearings seems to have been the really big help here.

The humming that was really driving me nuts and which led me to turning-off the BEMF via CV217 has also disappeared...I suspect but am not sure, that removing the 2 yellow resistors might have solved that. problem.

I next reset some of the CVs to try and improve the slow-speed running and smoothness of the loco......this was done using numbers suggested by a fellow on another forum.  It seems to have improved both things quite a bit.

So all in allI'm much happier with this loco now than I was a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

Cheers
Gene

genetk44

Resistors, capacitators whatever...you knew what I was talking about ;D

Yeah...the loco has gotten alot quieter and now sounds better. I'd love to know what was causing the hum though.

Hunt...thanks for the link to the sugar cubes.