How to operate an F7B unit purchased separately with an F7A for DCC?

Started by offtherails, May 15, 2016, 01:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

offtherails

Hi, complete newbie to DCC and first time here. I just purchased a new Bachmann F7A engine two weeks ago and now would like to add the related F7B powered unit. But if purchased individually how would you then program in these two individual units (using the NCE power cab system)? I asked the retailer from whom I purchased online and he mentioned I would "need a possible 49902 EZcommand or a 36505 Dynamis" (?) but recommended I post on this forum to find out. Not sure what he's talking about? Can anyone give me insight as to how to what needs to be done (in anything) in order to operate both an F7A coupled with a F7B unit for DCC that were not purchased in combination? Appreciate any help, thanks!

Mike C

Using the NCE PowerCab , you could set both addresses the same . This will work as long as they run well together .  Or you could consist them together .  This will work easy as long as they run well together .  Now if they don't run at close to the same speed you will need to  speed match them . Easy way is to use CV 5 and 6 to get the mid range and high end speeds to match .  They don't have to match exact , but the closer they are the better they will run .

I'd try setting the addresses the same first . They should run fairly close together .  But if you want to consist them , just read the instructions in the PowerCab manual , it's pretty easy to do .

offtherails

Thanks Mike! I thought it might be impossible to attempt to 'match up' two individual units. I'll certainly look into it further now that I know that it should be possible. Appreciate the help and will be checking back to the forum/site in future!  ;)