News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cancellation of the SPECTRUM 2-10-0 ..

Started by johnTom, November 23, 2007, 07:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnTom

I don't know if this topic has already been posted could anyone or a BACHMANN representative explain the cancellation of the 2-10-0 in the SPECTRUM LINE N-SCALE, I was ready to purchase two of them.  

Tom
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

thirdrail

Where specifically did you see it was cancelled rather than postponed?? Bachmann said they had no motors available that would fit and were awaiting a smaller motor to become available. The Russian Decapod is a very small boilered locomotive.

taz-of-boyds

I had not heard that yet, but I did hear the same thing for the ten wheeler.  I guess they are having a similar problem...  Or something.  As I await both...

Charles

johnTom

How about this, we all suggest or petition to BACHMANN for a partnership with Minitrix to produce both the 2-10-0 and the 4-6-0 and other steam locomotives for N-SCALE, I think we might just receive better running locomotives . Please correct me if I am mistaken I believe that Minitrix has the mold for both the
2-10-0 and the 4-6-0, then again we would have to take in account of  the dollar amount for the loco's . However, we also could be stuck with the old MP/Minitrix 2-10-0 ...
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

Williamson

The Minitrix chassis you refer to is far too large for these locos (never mind the fact that they are ancient and poor performing).

I am glad that Bachmann has not closed the doors on these locos. I would definately pick up one of the "Russian" 2-10-0s in WM!

Hopefully a good small 5 pole motor will emerge that can fit in these tiny locos.

Chris333

Every time This comes up I say put the motor in the tender...

David Leonard

I don't like tender drives because of the appearance.  However, if Bachmann could use a tender drive with the shaft just under the deck plate, it would be acceptable to me.

Franz T

I don't know.. Model Power sells a 2-6-0 and a 4-4-0 that are rather small. (I believe Ajin makes them) so I think that motor could be made to fit a decapod.  I know I would buy at least 3 or 4 if they were available. I'm also hoping for a ten wheeler. (I just like early 1900's steam , I guess..) ;)

daniel_leavitt2000

The motor in the Ajin / MP 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 are made by Mashima. Bachmann uses only in-house motors. The Acela has a smaller motor then their open frame 5 pole, but its still too big for a Deccapod. I belive they are working on smaller motors for several reasons:

1. The Russian
2. The 4-6-0
3. The 70 Tonner (RD is available from the HO project)
4. The 44 tonner (RD is available from the HO project)
5. A Spectrum version of the 0-4-0T or 0-6-0T

Lt Jim

>>The motor in the Ajin / MP 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 are made by Mashima. Bachmann uses only in-house motors. The Acela has a smaller motor then their open frame 5 pole, but its still too big for a Deccapod. I belive they are working on smaller motors for several reasons:

1. The Russian
2. The 4-6-0
3. The 70 Tonner (RD is available from the HO project)
4. The 44 tonner (RD is available from the HO project)
5. A Spectrum version of the 0-4-0T or 0-6-0T<<

If this is true, put me down for several of each!

A working 44 tonner in N scale would be a major boost to the hobby (and yes, I would be able to squeeze a decoder in as well)!

daniel_leavitt2000

I have an article in N Scale Magazine coming out in a few months that covers building a 44 tonner in N scale. It is not for the faint of heart.

joegideon

Wouldn't this be where YOU, Mr. Bach-mann,let us know the company's position?  I have been awaiting those same two- with baited breaqth, I might add- for three years!  Then, I'm hoping to seea 4-4-0.

I just purchased one of Walthers' new USRA 0-8-0s... Nice job!  Now, it appears to me, placing my HO 0-8-0 next to my Spectrum Decapod, that the 0-8-0's motor would fit fine in the Decapod.  But that's not my dept....  When might we expect an "N" scale 2-10-0?

J. Snyder

the Bach-man

Dear Joe,
There are three motor issues:
Size
Durability and performance
Cost
When these are satisfied, I believe we'll see the smaller locos.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Will_Annand

My only question would be...

How did Atlas do it in their 2-6-0 Mogul. I have one of those, the local club has one and two N scale buddies have each got one. These are the shrpest looking, best running small steamers I have seen. My buddy hooked his up to six 60' passenger cars and it pulled them up a % grade and looked great doing it  :D

jwoj69

JUST WORD ABOUT MINITRIX 2-10-0 I THINK IS WELL UNDEAPPRICIATED. PICKUPS ARE ON THE EASIEST TO ADJUST AND THE WILL KEEP FORM, ENGINE IS QUIT AND GOOD POOLER. SEPERATE HANRAILS, BELLS ETC = GOOD RICH DETAIL. I KNOW IT'S NOT FLEISCHMANN, BUT IT COSTS FRACTION OF IT. JUST CHACK SPECTRUM 4-8-4. FIND ONE THINK IN MECHANICS YOU CAN BRAG ABOUT IT. PICKUP, WHAT PICKUP, UNLESS YOU HAVE J SERIES WHAT DETAIL. I'M SORRY I HAD BENN TAKEN 2-10-0 A PART FEW TIMES, ALSO 4-8-4 SPECTRUM. 2-10-0 IS A RELLY GOOD ENGINE PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT.
PS
I SEE YOU GUYS LOOKING FOR MOTOR WHICH COULD FIT. HOW ABOUT SPECTRUM 2-8-0
THERE IS NOT MUCH ROOM IN THAT CABIN, SHOULD FIRT 2-10-0
JACK