News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sodor/UK Mail Cars

Started by airferber, May 26, 2016, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airferber

I have a few pieces of HO/OO British Rolling Stock and some Steam Engines.  Are the mail cars similar to baggage cars in terms of construction, except that mail cars have postal service markings as per the UK Prototype?  Because i was thinking of adding one to a Flying Scotsman Set I acquired.
Link shows item #77018, Green unlettered Mail/Baggage Car:
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_259_262&products_id=5906

-Aaron

Chaz

The mail car tooling is based on a modified version of a covered carriage truck (CCT) with the only differences being the height and the design of the roof.  If you want something that is a little more accurate, while being more pricey, I would personally recommend Bachmann UK's CCT van considering what you are going for:

Hope this helps
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

airferber

I see.  But can they be used as baggage cars if needed?

Chaz

Yes, it would work just fine as a baggage car. :)

Cheeky_ULP

The Thomas Bachmann mail car design is based on the MRR-onward Mail car props, which look cartoony compared to the real ones.

On that note, Southern Railway rolling stock behind an LNER locomotive?

Chaz

Quote from: Sparks on May 27, 2016, 04:11:37 PM
On that note, Southern Railway rolling stock behind an LNER locomotive?

LNER locomotives with SR stock isn't realistic sure, but I only gave a personal recommendation since as you said in your post, the mail cars look "cartoony".  Anyway, my post was directed to airferber, so I'm not entirely sure why you somehow felt the need to post a rather vague response like that.  Unless you can explain why you think this way, or have other ideas for him, I don't think it's necessary for you to respond with such wording like that.

Cheeky_ULP

Was responding to the OP, not you. The mail cars do look cartoon-ier in MRR+, the big proportions give that away.

If OP wants a better luggage car for Flying Scotsman, there are LNER alternatives. :P

airferber

Quote from: Sparks on May 27, 2016, 07:59:17 PM
Was responding to the OP, not you. The mail cars do look cartoon-ier in MRR+, the big proportions give that away.

If OP wants a better luggage car for Flying Scotsman, there are LNER alternatives. :P
Okay.  Good to know. Thanks.