Bach Man, can we get CURVED insulated gap E-Z Track?

Started by Flare, May 29, 2016, 12:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

Bach Man, is there any chance we can get some 18" Radius E-Z Track curves with insulated gaps in the near future?

jbrock27

If you are looking to make a gap in a rail, it is easy enough to do it with track saw or Dremel or dremel knock off, cutting tool and wheel.  I would not be holding my breadth and waiting around, if you really need one outfitted like that, to see if Bmann markets one.  You might as well get in line with all the other folks who like to start Topics with "When will Bachmann make (fill in the blank) loco?"  Like the old NIKE commercials said, JUST DO IT !

Just my suggestion :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Brock, a cut gap in a rail needs some kind of non conductive filler to keep things from creeping together again.  What material do you recommend?.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Trainman203 on May 29, 2016, 02:36:55 PM
Brock, a cut gap in a rail needs some kind of non conductive filler to keep things from creeping together again.  What material do you recommend?.

Trainman203... I use a piece of styrene trimmed to fit and glued in place or if the gap does not have to be in the middle you can remove the rail joiners and replace with Atlas insulated joiners.

jbrock27

TM-styrene, as Jerry stated (Happy Memorial Day Jerry, old friend! :))

However, that said, I would not imagine with EZ track, there is going to be much of a possibility of the cut sections joining back together.  But if you are a belt and suspenders kinda guy, do exactly what Jerry said.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

Good Morning  All  :  Has anyone considered using  insulated  rail joiners  ? They are manufactured in Code 100 as well as other sizes an should fit EZ track & provide a method of keeping the track from moving . John2.

Flare

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on May 30, 2016, 10:16:46 AM
Good Morning  All  :  Has anyone considered using  insulated  rail joiners  ? They are manufactured in Code 100 as well as other sizes an should fit EZ track & provide a method of keeping the track from moving . John2.

Yes, I've tried those.  The trouble is that you're about as likely to pull the rail off as remove its metal joiner, and the plastic joiners are larger and don't fit over the 'spikes' that held the original joiner in place.

Trainman203

I've had a pretty hard time removing the Bach Man's rail joiners from his EZ track.  EZ track is basically toy train track made to hold up under typical toy train handling conditions, like yearly assembly/disassembly for Christmas tree set ups.  The joiners have to stay on though all of that, and they do, via crimping on the underside of the rail.

EZ track really isn't bad looking though.  For one thing, the ties are scale sized, compared to competitors.  I used it on most of my primary trackage and when ballasted and painted it looks fine.

I think the OP would be best served by cutting a rail gap and filling it with styrene, rather than risk destroying the track trying to remove a balky joiner, then creating a hump in the rail with a thick insulated joiner made for someone else's track.  If cutting the joint doesnt work out, you can always replace the bad section with another.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on May 30, 2016, 10:16:46 AM
Has anyone considered using  insulated  rail joiners  ?

Yes, I did and yes I do but not with EZ track.  I use them with my Atlas track.  

I made the initial suggestion I did for the reason's the OP demonstrated he is aware of (pulling joiners off EZ track has been the subject of many topics here).  Plus, a gap can be made anywhere and does not have to be relegated to only where 2 sectional pieces meet, as I am sure you are aware.
Keep Calm and Carry On