News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

forney spin

Started by bubkiss, May 30, 2016, 02:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubkiss

Hi,  have a brand new forney that  just got back from bachmann repair, the train runs but it can't get traction so it just spins it's wheels and doesn't move. s there a way to add weight to the engine, or am  stuck again with a bad engine. ???

Flare

Does it do this without any cars attached?

bubkiss

Hi, yes,it just sits there with the wheels spinning.

John Tumolo

Here's a few things to check-they may sound dumb, but sometimes it's the simple things............
Be sure the packing styrofoam holding the front pilot truck is not still in place. 
Be sure the trailing truck isn't stuck on it's "slider".
Be sure all of the wheels on the trailing truck and the pilot truck spin freely.
If all of the above are ok, and all four drive wheels are turning, I'm at a loss.
Best of luck

John Tumolo

bubkiss

thank you 'll try that.

bubkiss

Hi, you were right,there was a small piece of gray foam hedged under the front wheels. Runs fine now, thank you.

jrl2442

having same issue on my unit.   no foam, rear truck sliding freely and appears properly attached to the rear lug, but the second drive axle clearly is sitting above the rail, and i can only assume that the rear truck is somehow causing the frame to ride high to the rear..   unit is out of warranty so hate to spend another $55 on it.   

sound works great-  would love to sell on ebay but can't honestly in current condition.

lovely little engine but is hell on my #2 wyes.

John Tumolo

May I suggest the following-under the engine is an "H" shaped piece of plastic that contains the brake shoes for the Forney.  If for some reason this was removed and not properly replaced, you can have a wheels up situation.  My advice would be to snap it back in place where it belongs, or pull it off and leave it off to see if that takes care of the problem.  If you can get down to eye level with the Forney, shine a flashlight under it and you may see the problem.  Otherwise, call Bachmann service and talk to the folks there- the toll free number is 800-356-3910.  I don't know why you would have a problem with the engine going through a "Y", but first you should check the front coupler to be sure the "brake hose" is not hanging down too far, which will result in the coupler fouling in the trackwork.  Also be sure the gauge of your track is correct, and that the gauge of the lead and trailing wheels on the Forney are in spec.  If you have no problems with regular switches, I would blame the "Y".  Best of luck.  John Tumolo  Britcarfan@aol.com

John Tumolo

Dear jrl-Just looking for an update-were you able to fix your problems with the Forney?

John Tumolo  britcarfan@aol.com