News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

atlas shell on a bachmann chasis

Started by kh25, June 09, 2016, 02:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kh25

Would an ho scale atlas classic gp7 shell fit on a bachmann sound equipped gp7 chasis?

brokenrail

Most anything of the same scale and same loco can be made to fit off using different brands.This is what model railroading is.Does the Atlas have the walkway and steps part of the frame casting? If it is one of those then no because it is only half a shell. In my opinion the Bachmann shell is well done and they do sell them painted complete in many road names for your frame.
Johnny

jbrock27

At least ky, you have 1 more reply here than you do to this question you posted in the MRR Forum. ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Searsport

Quote from: kh25 on June 09, 2016, 02:28:06 AM
Would an ho scale atlas classic gp7 shell fit on a bachmann sound equipped gp7 chasis?

Hmmm, your question prompts me to wonder if the shells from my Atlas and Athearn G of G RS-3s would fit the B'man sound chassis. The Atlas Classic RS-3 does have the walkway a separate plastic part and not cast into the metal chassis. The C of G blue/grey scheme is a great livery that the B'man has yet to reach and both Atlas and Athearn versions have a full set of wire grabs. Unfortunately I don't have a B'man RS-3 to test the possibilities.

Bill.

bapguy

The Athearn body should fit with modifications to the B"Man frame : the weight on the ends will need to be cut back at least an 1/8 ", the front and rear pilots between the steps are closed on the B Man unit and open on the Athearn unit. The Athearn unit has a piece that goes under the couple pocket to fill the hole.  Look at the photos to see what I'm talking about.  Joe

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH96851

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=6390

brokenrail

What about a Walthers or a Kato frame? Everyone makes a pretty good RS 3. Like to see the B-mann do a RS 1 since they are a stretched out S series frame with the same prime mover.If they did one as well as there s series ,I would have a few if they went with the tower less trucks like the s series .Different fuel tank detail then the rs3.Sorry the Walthers is a rs 2 ;D
Johnny