News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Space/layout issues

Started by The train kid, June 15, 2016, 10:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The train kid

I'm looking to build a... well really small layout I'm lucky to have about a foot by 4 feet of space but at the age of seventeen working at Taco Bell I would like to make a small budget layout I could possibly expand overtime so with this in mind I'm exploring several scales I'm a big detail freak building model cars as well as mine shafts and densely wooded areas not looking for realism but am looking for something interesting for people tonlook at. And I'm having problems making a layout design so am reaching out and asking for help from expert modelers on this forum. Thank you for your time

Skarloey Railway

I suggest you don't get bogged down by trying to make the 1'x4' work for you. Look at what happens if you make it 9" wide at one end and 15" wide at the other. Or if you keep the ends at 12" but allow the front edge to curve out to 15".

That might sound trivial but immediately you'll gain a bit of width in places and width means flexibility. It also stops it looking like a plank of wood.

Consider height. You like mining stuff, so what about an ore tipple with a feeder line. Or maybe a coal tipple. Varied heights give a lot more visual interest, plus with either of those you have switching moves to make.

Now, assuming this is a fixed structure, say along a wall, and the maximum fixed length is 4' because any longer gets in the way of other things, what about a couple of short temporary extensions for when you want to operate. These need only be the width of a single track and no more than 18" long, but one at either end, or both ends, gives your train somewhere to go to once it's finished it's switching moves. At the end of operating, you just take the extensions off and put them under the layout out of the way.

Think of every element in your plan in terms of what happens there versus how much space it takes up. For example, an engine house makes a great model but it takes up a lot of space and nothing much happens there except at the start and end of each operating session. A water tank, on the other hand, takes up a lot less space and can be used several times each operating session.

In a small space the eye is really going to be focused on things so make those things as good as they can be. For example, rather than thinking densely wooded areas, which you can't do in a space this small, think one or at most two really great trees. Even a small tree at this scale will be over 12" tall but if it's a well-modelled tree it'll hold the eye better than loads of cheap bottle-brush trees.

Think creatively. You want water on your model. But there's no space for a river. Not really any space for a creek. But next to a water tank or any place locos usually stand for a while, there'll be leaks and leaks mean puddles. A puddle might not sound much, but it's water and it'll reflect like water.

Lastly, look to learn from this. I doubt operating this layout will hold your attention for long, but what will hold your attention is learning new skills.   

The train kid

You gave a couple good ideas and I may have another track plan in mind. Thank you

ebtnut

Another option to consider is a switchback design.  Switchbacks were common in logging and mining.  The loading area can be on the upper level, then switch back down and back to the terminal/interchange location.  The Bachmann Shay and a few of the four-wheel dump cars would be just right for this type of operation.

The train kid

Could you by chance post an example?

Flare

Quote from: The train kid on June 16, 2016, 11:05:45 AM
Could you by chance post an example?

Here's one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_Z0RfZX8U

And also a portable 2 x 6 foot On30 mining layout that always makes me smile:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l45hpcCTrEw

The train kid

I agree the 2x6 looks amazing but unfortunately I am not able to have that kinda space but is something I would like to implement into my layout and I may actually have more space since my shelf in my room is gonna have to be moved to the other side of the room.

The train kid

Does anyone make their own track like maybe from Atlas HO flex track been trying to figure out how modelers get that accurate spacing.

Flare

Some modellers trim off every other tie for more accurate spacing, another option is buying On30 scale track like the stuff MicroMark makes; their On30 scale track allows the tie spacing to more closely resemble real logging and mining operations that were more concerned with laying track quickly than measuring the distance between ties.  http://www.micromark.com/on30-code-83-flex-track-bundle-of-6-pieces,8548.html

If you want to lay your own track, here's a website that sells supplies in On30 scale:  https://www.handlaidtrack.com/on30-scale-a/178.htm

The train kid

I actually like the micromark track and specifically the price.

Flare

I just had an idea for you:  How about an end-to end layout that incorporates Bachmann's Auto-reverse system?  You would need to get creative with the extra wires the system uses for the main line sections if you want to use non E-Z track, but the end pieces (That need to be E-Z track) could be hidden in a mine or building.

Maybe a Porter could push V-Dump cars into the mine, then pull them through a forest to a processing building at the other end.

The train kid

That's actually not a bad idea I'm gonna hit the drawing board I might have an idea for the benchwork but I could use that thanks for the idea :)

Flare

No problem.  I don't know for sure if the current DCC-compatible locos are compatible with the Auto Reverse system, (It uses DC so they probably are) but It's rare for any stock Porter go for over $100 on Ebay so you won't be out too much if they aren't compatible considering the cost of other On30 locos.  ;)

dutchbuilder

To design a layout you need a drawing before you start building.
It also saves a lot of money by designing it on screen/paper.
I use the design program called "Anyrail".
It is free up to 50 pieces of track.
That should be enough for a small layout.
By using flex track you can make quit  a big layout before the program asks for registration.
You can also give the max size of the space available an choose the brand of track you want to use
when you are satisfied with the design you can print the design on a piece of paper.
You can even print it 1:1 and glue the prints together to use it as a template.

https://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

Ton , the Netherlands

dutchbuilder

Quote from: Flare on June 16, 2016, 04:00:34 PM
I just had an idea for you:  How about an end-to end layout that incorporates Bachmann's Auto-reverse system?  You would need to get creative with the extra wires the system uses for the main line sections if you want to use non E-Z track, but the end pieces (That need to be E-Z track) could be hidden in a mine or building.

Maybe a Porter could push V-Dump cars into the mine, then pull them through a forest to a processing building at the other end.

An other option is to use this.
http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/trainshuttle.html
It's fully DCC

Ton