Length of Cricket Pitch is proportional to "Given" figure for steam generation.

Started by Seasaltchap, February 15, 2007, 09:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seasaltchap

Length of Cricket Pitch = 22 yards = 1 Chain.

20 chains = 440 yards. = quarter mile.

4 x quarter mile = 1760 yards. 

Given volume V of water generates (1760 x V) at normal atmospheric pressure.

Why Chains; because the measurement is used in track radii.

Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

Colorado

I think you may have trouble here, most Americans do not realise Football is played with a round ball, Cricket could be well outside the frame.

Mark Damien

Stewart,

This is a little [a Lot] off subject, but.....
I sent you an email - just wondering if you got it? If not check your Junk filter..
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Seasaltchap

Mark, You will have to send again, check you spelling.

In my collection I have but 2 diesel railcars representing the 1930's - the rest are steam.

Steam is King, or as one wag says of diesel, "its a boxcar with a motor".

For steam enthusiasts, this I believe is ON subject.

Colorado, glad to note you.

Regards

Stewart
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Seasaltchap

Colorado,  We had an International in Phoenix last week of US v. Mexico before a crowd of 60,000 - MEXICANS !!!

It was 2-nil, or from the uninitiated local sportscasters 2-zip.

Mexico is by no means a walkover. 5 years ago the US beat Mexico in the World Cup. The team is progressing to the point where the lack of support is a national disgrace.

Regards

Stewart

Seasaltchap

I would like it to be known that the premis of this string is in the provenance of the "40' Box Car Method"

Regards

Stewart

Ken Schei

Mark Damien

Steam's the Dream.

Although I did succumb to a new Hornby GWR railcar.
I have my weaknesses.
But I think a perfect collection is unpardonable in a hobby like this.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Jim Banner

Ken, I think he is referring to this post:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,282.0.html although what this present "string" (I think he means "thread") has to do with the ownership history of that method I do not know.  In my opinion, trying to assign sigificance to two unrelated numbers having approximately the same value seems more in the realm of numerology.  Perhaps Stewart will take a few moments to explain the significance of these two numbers being almost equal.  I suspect it has something to do with chains, but there seems to be a few missing links (one link = 201.168 millimeters or almost 8 inches.)
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Ken Schei

Hi, Jim,

I agree.  My question was rhetorical - I just wanted to get the subject on the table for clarity.  In addition to your excellent analysis, I offered my own here:

ttp://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,304.msg2680.html

Both your method and mine work in any scale.  Incidently, I am also interested in the (other) string theory.

Cheers, Ken

Seasaltchap

Jim,  Testing, Testing ... 1.  2.  3.

There you go again with your exactness. I wish to call it a string.

Significance: Volume of steam can be measured in cubic yards, or the cube of a Chain! - Why not?

Regards

Stewart