News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need transformer advice

Started by KJFlynn, June 26, 2016, 10:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJFlynn

I have a snap-fit EZ track HO system. I have expanded the tracks to a very large display, but the trains do not run. We used a voltage tester but it did not read any current. The transformer still works on smaller displays. I assume I need to replace the transformer. What size should I purchase? Or do I need to look at something else.
Thanks,
Kyle

Flare

Does your layout include a way for the train to change direction such as a reverse loop?

That would cause a short circuit if the rails aren't gapped.

RAM

Your power supple is ok.  My guess is that you do not have the power connected to the new track.   It is hard to tell without know what the track design is.

Len

If there are no shorts from reverse loops, and a smaller layout works, then it sounds like your problem is not enough power feeders to the larger layout. Track is not a great conductor. As you add more track to a layout, you start getting voltage drop from the resistance of the track itself the farther you go from the power feed. Add enough track, and the voltage will drop to zero, causing the train to stop at some distance from the power feed.

The solution is to add additional power feeds from the power pack to various points around the layout. Use however many feeds as necessary to get an even power distribution around the track. You should only need a bigger power pack if you are adding more locos, which will pull more power, to the front of a train. Or if you are adding a bunch of accessories, e.g., switch machines, building lights, etc., to the layout. If the later, I'd suggest using a seperate power supply for the accessories.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Flynn, is the track you are using steel EZ Track?  Is the power pack you are using a Bachmann?

Track can be an excellent conductor, but the quality of the conduction depends greatly on the rail joiners.  If they are bunged up, you are are going to lose continuity at those points.  As Len stated, adding extra power feeds helps, and this is usually accomplished by soldering the feeder wires to the underside of rail joiners or directly to the sides of the rails.  This becomes problematic if we are dealing with steel track here bc it is difficult to solder to compared to nickel silver track.  The way around that would be to use a couple of terminal tracks and have them all feed from something like a barrier strip or spliced off each other using Suit Case connectors.

Of course, the best solution, IMHO, is to have most, if not all the rail joiners soldered in place (again not easy with steel) but understand this takes away an advantage of using EZ Track.
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

QuoteWe used a voltage tester but it did not read any current.

If the lokie was not running and the headlamp not lighted, you would read no current draw (amps), this is normal.
Take your volt meter and measure voltage beginning at a terminal or power feed nearest the power supply, and continuing completely around your layout.
Take a reading every foot or so.

Tell us what you find.

jbrock27

Question is, is this a meter or voltage tester?  They are different and perform different functions, with a tester being limited to merely checking for DC continunity.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Flynn, I have also sent you a PM ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

dutchbuilder

If you don't have a metering device use a simple 12V lightbulp.
Simple but effective.

Ton

jbrock27

Quote from: dutchbuilder on July 03, 2016, 06:16:55 AM
If you don't have a metering device use a simple 12V lightbulp.

Ton

He stated in his opening he has a "tester".  At the least, this would be the equivalent of what you suggest.  The question is whether he has a meter or not.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

H0 scale train sets use "power packs", meaning a device to step down from house voltage AC power plus a rectifier to convert to DC to run the train.

Today,"transformer" means a kids toy that lets you build characters out of Lego like parts.  It also means those things on utility poles that blow up with a green flash at 2 AM during a brown-out.  It used to mean a step down voltage device for AC powered tinplate toy trains. 

jbrock27

Thanks for that TM, but has there been some question about what it is the OP is asking about ??? ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

I know, just a weak attempt at some sabbath humor.

jbrock27

Ahh.  Better luck next time I guess ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Transformer = 3rail AC like Lionel
Power Pack = 2 rail DC like Bachmann