News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

coupler questions from the newbie

Started by bsamot69, June 28, 2016, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsamot69

so, it seems that there are a few different types of couplers on my HO train acquisitions.  most I am ass u meing are like Bachmann and work together, however, i just had to have a couple of cool Amtrak coaches made by Con-Cor and they have an altogether unique coupler.  the question, is it possible to change couplers on the Con-Cor and similar coaches with that type to work with Bachmann type?   And if so, where do i look/buy these pieces? i saw no reference in FAQ's...TKS in advance. 

Flare

Kadee brand couplers should be inter-compatible with the rest of your stock.

You didn't mention which Amtrack cars you have, but Kadee's compatibility chart mentions a few Con-Cor ones that might be yours:

http://www.kadee.com/conv/hocc_con-cor.htm

Len

If the Con-Cor coupler shank ends in what looks like a C-clip, the direct replacement snap-in knuckle couplers would by McHenry '50' series couplers. Or, as Flare suggested, you can modify the cars to use Kadee adaptors and couplers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Con cor is a well recognized model railroad company, since the 60s.  It seems odd to me that they'd put incompatible couplers on their cars.

Go to Kadee's web site.  They've gone over the top providing conversion information for every railroad car imaginable. 

bsamot69

Thank you, I am on the bottom of the learning curve....most of my stuff has couplers that do NOT have the backwards "C"  that points toward the track...so when the Con-Cor  with the that "c" coupler arrived I was in "thrown for a loop" mode:)))))  the Kadee website is very informative!!! hope to standardize soon

jbrock27

Nothing beats a knuckle coupler for operation, despite what the horn hook fans out there say. ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

The McHenry couplers are knuckle couplers designed as direct replacements for the horn-hooks used on many AHM, Rivarossi, IHC, and Con-Cor passenger cars:

You pull the horn-hook straight out from the end of the car, then push the McHenry in until the 'C-clip' snaps around the post that held the horn-hook on. The McHenry's are plastic, but have metal knuckle springs.

If you want metal couplers, you have to go the Kadee conversion route.

Len

Trainman203

Len those couplers look like they'd pull out with a train of any but the shortest length.

Len

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 03, 2016, 04:58:20 PM
Len those couplers look like they'd pull out with a train of any but the shortest length.

I've used them on a 10 car train of 'heavyweights, with lights and interiors, over a 2% grade without any problems. The way they snap in, it actually takes a bit of muscle to pull them out.

Len