Bachmann Spectrum Duddle Bug PRR model #81406 DCC capable?

Started by Dan S., February 27, 2015, 09:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan S.

Can I ask a senoir Bachmann expert if this particular duddle bug has the 8 pin feature to allow it to be changed to DCC operation? I have not purchased it yet so I'm not able to take the shell off to view personally. I have a local antique dealer whom has a couple for sale in good condition, but either of us know if we can convert to DCC easily. I thought to post this question before I purchased unit and possibly save myself some aggravation down the road.

Len

The HO Spectrum Doodlebug is "DCC Ready", with an 8-pin decoder socket.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Quote from: Len on February 27, 2015, 12:37:47 PM
The HO Spectrum Doodlebug is "DCC Ready", with an 8-pin decoder socket.
Len I thought the very first run was not DCC ready, and then they switched them to DCC ready and later in the most recent run to DCC on board.

Len

I guess I should have been more specific, the Spectrum 81406 asked about is DCC ready. At least the one I have is.0 Back when, I just popped the dummy plug out, plugged a DH163PS into it, and it was good to go after programming a new address.

Len

Dan S.

Thanks All,
As all ways I appreciate your wealth of knowledge it sure helps reduce the mistakes and $ spent!! I will purchase these 2 duddle bugs with the info gained here and not be 2nd guessing myself. I saw were you listed the part# for proper decoder, this would be the correct animal for the job? Is this a Bachmann part# or whom may it belong to so I can order the proper item?  Thanks again. Dan.

Len

Any decoder with an 8-pin plug will work, whether it's on the end of a harness or a PC board with the pins built in. Bachmann makes some 2-function decoders with 8-pin plugs, or Google! 8-pin decoder if you need more functions for some reason. I used the DH-163PS because I purchased a bunch on sale at the time, and happened to have one on hand.

If you're looking to buy on eBay, you might want to have seller state explicitley the Doodle Bug you're after is DCC Ready. One of the reasons I don't use the 'Bay' much any more is because I've had people switch shells to older chassises, while asking a premium price. Plus those 35 pages of "Rare and hard to find" Tyco cars don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about some sellers.

Len

Dan S.

Hello Len,
Are you sure that this item as I earlier described is able to accept the 8 pin plug decoder? I ask because the box doesn't say dcc ready or able, perhaps it doesn't list on the outside of the box at that time? I just want to be clear that you believe that this unit will except a dcc decoder. Thanks again for all your knowledge.
Sincerely, Dan S.

Len

All I can say is the specific Doodlebug I have was DCC Ready out of the box, and the box label had "81406" on the end. I picked it up at a train show in a box with the shrink wrap removed, so it's possible what I got wasn't in the right box. But it was right after opening on the first day, and it was the only Doodlebug the guy had at the time, so I believed it belonged with that box.

Like I said earlier, you should ask the seller directly whether the one he's selling is DCC Ready or not. It's not that hard to pop the shell and check to be sure.

Len

rogertra

I have a first run DOODLEbug and as I recall it is NOT DCC ready.

My model has yet to be DCC equipped.  I'd check but I'm loath to remove the body from the chassis to have a look to see if it has a DCC 8 pin connector or not, I think not, as the body is really difficult to remove.

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Quote from: Len on March 02, 2015, 09:45:38 AM

Like I said earlier, you should ask the seller directly whether the one he's selling is DCC Ready or not. It's not that hard to pop the shell and check to be sure.

Len

Len.

Oh yes it is!  It's a right royal pain trying to remove the body shell.  Looks like this model was designed to put together, not to take apart.

Cheers

Roger T.

grsman

There has been a problem with the HO DoodleBug since day one. I don't kbow what scale an #81406 is. The NMRA 8-pin socket is mis-wired.
There is a pcb trace between pins 3 & 7. Instructions that came with the DoodleBug said there i s a green wire between the pins. That is not true.
Pins 3 & 7 should not be connected together with a wire or a pcb trace. Remove whichever is present. This mistake could only cause trouble if
your decoder has a function wire connected to pin 3 and it gets energized.
Tom

Len

Roger,

I guess it's a point of view. After dealing with some of the newer Lionel and Atlas-O 3-rail locos at the shop when it was open, the Doodlebug just didn't seem all that hard to open to me.

Len

PRR K5

Are the DCC non-first run units marked as DCC Ready on the box, or the same labeling on first and later runs?