News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD 45 Wont Move

Started by cdat1963, June 30, 2016, 05:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdat1963

I bought a used SD 45 with dcc, the sounds work but loco barley moves. At full throttle the wheels seem to spin and it struggles to move an inch or two. I have a gp 35 that works fine. What could be wrong with the SD?

jbrock27

Did it come with factory installed DCC or was it modified to be by the prior owner?  Any other modifications to it?  Can it be assumed this is a Bachmann?  If so, Spectrum, Plus or Sound Value model?
Keep Calm and Carry On

cdat1963

It is a Bachman sd  #3314, I do not have a box so not sure of exact type. On the website it shows as dc on board and I don't know if it was modified. It does have sound so I think it may be

jbrock27

Have the ability to post pics of it?
Keep Calm and Carry On

cdat1963

It will not let me post pictures, says the files are too large

jbrock27

You need to get hooked up with Photobucket.

Do a Search here for it, the instructions for doing so have been covered mucho times.

Where did you purchase this loco from btw?
Keep Calm and Carry On

cdat1963

I find pictures but I can't upload- now I get a message that upload file is full. But I did find that it is a Spectrum SD 45

jbrock27

That being the case, means this is an aftermarket job.

Have the ability to take the shell off?

Did you go to the General Questions section on this home page and see Len's instructions for getting set up with Photobucket?
Keep Calm and Carry On

kamerad47

They really should make it easier to post pic's here!!!!! >:(

Trainman203

"Used" most often means "someone that  doesn't know what they are doing" but "thinks they know everything" "worked on it" and "got rid of it".

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 03, 2016, 10:03:40 AM
"Used" most often means "someone that  doesn't know what they are doing" but "thinks they know everything" "worked on it" and "got rid of it".

Can't agree.  What is the basis for that conclusion?

Still waiting for 1963 to respond to my question of "where purchased from?"
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Experience and observation.

jbrock27

What's your sampling consist of?

It's not been my experience.  Then again, I find I am pretty careful and do my research before hand.  A little savvy doesn't hurt either.

Still waitin '63...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Coupla friends bought turkeys.  I do have an engine I bought used , but only from a trusted friend, it was fine.

Plus, Brock, how often do you yourself see on this  forum "I bought a used XYZ and it doesn't run"?  I don't  have a count but you do see it.

Out in the country we have a saying......  "pig in a poke."  Ever hear that?  Google it.

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 04, 2016, 12:06:22 PM
...how often do you yourself see on this  forum "I bought a used XYZ and it doesn't run"?
Flory, you really want me to comment on that?

I know a couple of sayings myself.  One is, "a fool and is money are soon parted".
Keep Calm and Carry On