News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Steam Engine

Started by Penn1974, June 06, 2016, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn1974

Is there any way to tell the year of manufacture and type of a HO Bachmann engine by a Bachmann part number or engine number? Thanks

ACY

If you give me the model number I can tell you what type of locomotive you have most likely, but a photo uploaded to a photo hosting site would help as well. The exact year of manufacture would not be easy to figure out.

Penn1974

It is a Bachmann K4 part # 3716413520 with a engine #1381.

Penn1974

Sorry- part # 371646135820

Len

The 'type' is easy, PRR Class K4 locos were all 4-6-2 "Pacifics" intended for passenger service, but also used for fast freight.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Penn1974

Thanks for the comments so far. Two questions that I still have is with the part number, is there a way to tell when that product was made and is there an area that I can find out what the different types of Bachmann products that had names such as Spectrum and such meant including locomotives and freight and passenger cars? Thanks in advance.

Bucksco

There is not a complete database of old Bachmann products. Finding old item numbers, etc... would require obtaining old catalogs.

ebtnut

IIRC, the first Bachmann K-4's came out about 20 years ago.  I (barely) remember them in steam, so had to have one.  I might still have it in a box somewhere, but have been in O/On3 for even longer.  Used to run it on our club layout until we were asked to leave and that's when the HO went into storage. 

nfmisso

Some resources:

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/228181.aspx
http://hoseeker.net/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmannk4spectrum462.jpg

There have been several versions of the Spectrum K4 over the decades - the first ones from the early 1990's had a horizontally split frame, with each have of the frame connected to one  rail.  Later Bachmann went to a different design with a single main frame.  Not many parts interchange.

Nigel

Penn1974

Thank you nfmisso for your help. When I tried to click on the link for hoseeker I got a permission denied message #403

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On