News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD 45 Wont Move

Started by cdat1963, June 30, 2016, 05:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

When my repair shop was open, the words that would make me cringe were, "I bought this loco on-line at xxx, and it doesn't work." Why they didn't contact the seller first, I don't know. But if I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I could have retired 5 years early.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

I'm really hesitant to buy locomotives on line.  I buy mostly through a Gulfport LHS that two of my friends own.  I pay more but my money not only stays in town but with my friends.  Incidentally they went more than the extra mile when one engine turned out to be a turkey.  I know all of this is old fashioned but so am I.

brokenrail

Take the shell off and see if both worm gears are turning wile you power it up on the rail. Sounds like a drive shaft coupling is cracked and not gripping the worm gear.Common problem with the older split frame diesels.The coupling is available.Correction,Still a common problem.Brand new gp 9 did it, but it did not crack ,just fell of  since the hole was not straight in the coupling .It just wobbled off.Have a new one .So much for buying new online and Quality controll being better.
Johnny

jbrock27

Quote from: brokenrail on July 05, 2016, 07:21:43 PM
Take the shell off...
Johnny

I posed the question to the OP on 6/30, if he had the ability to do so.  And here we all are, holding on with baited breadth...

Quote from: Len on July 05, 2016, 08:32:54 AM
When my repair shop was open, the words that would make me cringe were, "I bought this loco on-line at xxx, and it doesn't work."

Len

And you would have us understand that those people disappointed you by walking in to give you $$ for repair work?

Quote from: Len on July 05, 2016, 08:32:54 AM
Why they didn't contact the seller first...

Len

Begs the question, doesn't it??  See my prior statement, involving the word "fool"...

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 05, 2016, 06:31:32 PM
I'm really hesitant to buy locomotives on line.  I buy mostly through a Gulfport LHS that two of my friends own.  I know all of this is old fashioned but so am I.

Has little to do with being 'old fashioned' or not.  Not everyone has a traditional train based LHS in their town or nearby for that matter and even fewer have ones owned and run by their friends ::)  All used locos I have bought have been online.  Almost every one, no worries ;D  But then again, I don't send my locos out to anyone to be worked on, I get my hands dirty when I have to ;) 

Could not get me to buy one at a "show", unless I was able to test it first and pay by CC ;)  And even at that, it would have to be real deal after considering gas, parking fee and admission fee, which keeps me from shows for the most part (the few there are around my region).
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

QuoteAnd you would have us understand that those people disappointed you by walking in to give you $$ for repair work?

I didn't charge for estimates, and in too many cases the repair would have cost more than they paid for the loco. So they'd say the heck with it and leave, and I'd lose time that could have been spent fixing things worth fixing.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Sorry it did not work out for you, but I guess at least it can be said those folks were not foolish enough to throw good $$ after bad.
Keep Calm and Carry On

railtwister

Quote from: cdat1963 on June 30, 2016, 05:54:58 AM
I bought a used SD 45 with dcc, the sounds work but loco barley moves. At full throttle the wheels seem to spin and it struggles to move an inch or two. I have a gp 35 that works fine. What could be wrong with the SD?

Sounds like it may have a split universal socket that is disabling one truck, and the resulting drag from the dead truck is causing the wheels on the other truck to spin.

Bill in FtL

brokenrail

Just said that.No sense repeating it .I guess common sense is not to common these days for sure.
Johnny

Trainman203

My LHS is really an OOTHS, it's almost 100 miles away,though I'm there nearly every weekend.

jbrock27

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 06, 2016, 05:48:45 PM
My LHS is really an OOTHS, it's almost 100 miles away,though I'm there nearly every weekend.

Would not call that "local".  You would not find me doing that but god bless ya fer it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

I spend  weekends there in MS. But of of the guys works in NO and brings me my stuff.