News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 2-8-2 Mikado Sound Value

Started by jonathan, July 04, 2016, 09:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Folks,

I have been saving my pennies, and searching for a Bachmann USRA Mikado for quite some time.  I finally pulled the trigger and my 2-8-2 should be arriving tomorrow, according to the package tracker.

Some of you are aware I tend to take a lot of pics, and share my projects as I work on them.  This is no exception.  I intend to make this loco look as close to the B&O Q-3 as I possible can.  This will take a while...

To start, I have gathered many needed parts to get this loco's details up to snuff:

A few more detail parts are in the mail.

My intention is to shave down the loco shell's molded on details and put brass, steel bronze parts on as a replacement.  Why?  Bachmann steamers tend to run very, very well in my experience.  They just need a little tweaking to make them match a prototype.  

Anyway, here's looking forward to a long thread.  Wish me luck.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Jonathan.

Keep us informed.  I haven't bothered with the Bachmann 2-8-2 as of yet simply because it does come with cast on details.  This is, sadly, a step backwards from the quality we'd come to expect with the Spectrum range, although the price point is still up in what we paid for the Spectrum range.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Jonathon, competitor engines also have molded on detail.  Seperate piping, a increasingly costly option, is going to be a thing of the past for all vendors.

I'm ok with molded on stuff to a point.  Right now I'm in transition to retirement and will be moving, so fragile detail is something I can do without for now.  I'll be getting the Frisco one later this year.

jonathan

Yep, I've noticed most manufacturers are using less separately applied details.  Thank goodness I still like to tinker and still have enough hand-eye coordination to do some work.  :)

My new baby came in the mail today.

I performed a quick inspection... found nothing broken, misaligned to missing.  Also, ran a quick trip back and forth to make sure everything works.  It does.  I notice, like all sound values so far, the volume is a bit diminished compared to the regular tsunami.  No biggie, as I usually find the volumes to be too loud anyway. 

She runs just a bit stiff, but shouldn't be a problem after some break-in time.

Well, I have a lot of work to do, but not today. 

I will start posting pics and descriptions as I trick-out my new toy.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

I would have done all of that detailing 10 years ago.  Can't see as good as before, makes little difference to me now.  One thing I "am" doing is replacing the stirrups and brakewheels on about 75 or so "blue box" type cars.  Makes a pretty big diffence.  After I move, I'll probably  add the cut levers.

jonathan

Oh BTW, here is the tender shell off:

The speaker is under the electronics, pointing down.  The shell comes off with one screw and a push on the two tabs in the back of the shell.... easy.  Notice the two wires heading to the reverse light.

I couldn't help myself. I had to move the ladder:

Moving the ladder took 5 minutes.  It takes a lot longer to fill in and smooth out the holes.

Every steamer I ever had, always came with the ladder on the wrong side.   :)

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

One would think the ladder would always be on the fireman's side as it's the fireman's job to climb up onto the tender to fill the tank.

If the ladder is on the engineer's side, that means either a longer journey around the front of the loco to reach the ladder or a not so safe climb over the coupler to reach the ladder or the fireman has to exit the cab via the engineer's side.

A quick Google didn't answer my question as it seems to vary depending on the road but I did notice that most of the Canadian photos the ladder was on the fireman's side.

Cheers

Roger T.

ebtnut

Jonathon:  You probably have already done this, but a search in the Rails Northeast photo file shows No. 4508 with a big Vandy tender, either from an S-1 or an EL articulated.  I'm going to try and locate a Rivarossi tender to do this exchange, just to be different.  I used the same tender behind my Westside Q-4 instead of the stock tender.  For DCC, I cut out the cast-in coal load to gain access to the interior, replacing the load with a removable carved foam load covered with real crushed coal. 

jonathan

Indeed I did see that photo!

If this was a non-sound loco, I might try the same project. Rather, I may renumber it to match one of the other Q-3s.  Out of the 100 Q-3s, about a dozen did not install a brakeman's seat behind the fireman.  I was going to pick one of those numbers and carry on.

Been studying the prototype photos as well as the brass photos.  However, even Westside put a few mistakes in their Mikes... like the ladder on the wrong side!  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK a little progress this evening.

The water fill lid has a couple of new grabirons and a lid rest thingy:

Meanwhile the back of the tender has a new Kadee scalehead coupler, cut lever, moved ladder, grabirons, , airhose, and passenger hose connector thingy.... along with a chain.   I don't know what the chain is for, but the only rear photo I have shows a chain hanging down... perhaps a towhook?

I have filled in all the holes... just waiting for that to set up so I can sand them down smooth.  Then I can paint and weather the tender.

Next I'll work on the frame/mechanism assembly.  Saving the loco shell for last.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

The stock whistle casting is terrible. Use one from a 4-4-0, although you have to cut the lever off.

rogertra

The chain on the tender is to hold the steam heating connect out of the way when it's not in use.

Cheers

Roger T

Trainman203

So these B&O Macarthurs ran in passenger service?

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 06, 2016, 10:54:52 PM
So these B&O Macarthurs ran in passenger service?

The loco does have a steam heat connection, which is not that unusual on a freight engine as they could be pressed into passenger service if the need arises but Johnathan will be the best one to answer that question.

Cheers

Roger T.

jonathan

Thanks, yes.  The B&O McArthur/Mikados were pressed into passenger service from time-to-time. Especially during WWII. I remember reading about it, but I can't quote chapter and verse at the moment.

Later on, they were also given switcher pilots and rear steps. Then pressed into switching and short haul service.  The railroad got there money's worth out of these guys.

Regards,

Jonathan