News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ON30 Engine Question

Started by garfamus, July 05, 2016, 05:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfamus

Have a general store that we recently assembled a 130' foot train system for customers.  Our store is open 7 days a week and open for 14 hours per day.  I have purchased two bumblebee engines for our system and already the engines have given up the ghost.  I would like to purchase a higher quality, heavier duty engine that can withstand the hours of use.  Is there such an engine out there that can outlast the bumblebee?  Thanks in advance.  Kurt from Etna, Wyoming

the Bach-man

Dear Kurt,
How long is "already"?  Do the trains run non-stop 98 hours a week? Do you regularly clean the track? How often did you clean and lube the locos? (Do you change the oil in your car, as an example?) Does the display feature grades? How long are your trains?
Have you considered an on/off switch to turn on the layout only when people are in the store? (Or only when people in the store show interest?)
The 2-6-0s are among our best running locos, but, like all locos, they need regular maintenance.
Good luck, and thanks for promoting model railroading!
the Bach-man

garfamus

Bought first train in May.  Second train in middle of June.  Run trains when we open at 6:00 am to 8:00 pm.  I clean track one a week with damp cloth and then go over again with damp towel in rubbing alcohol.  I clean engines twice a week but probably need a oil to use.  I qtip the wheels with rubbing alcohol.  What oil do you recommend?  I am real A type when it comes to cleaning our system.  I don't know what type of engine is the bumblebee but would be interested in purchasing a higher quality engine that can take the hours of use on a daily basis.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help

dutchbuilder

you could look for a professional motor like Faulhaber or Maxxon.
They are brushless and usually come with ball bearings.
What type I don't know, there are so many.

Ton

Len

Another solution is to use relays and timers controlled by a push button to start the train, let it run for a couple of minutes, then stop it.

We used the 912 relays and 960 timers from these guys:

http://www.elkproducts.com/relays_timers_and_programmable_modules.html

When we built this display layout for a local shopping center (that's me with the beard on the far side of the figure-8 bridge). The timers are set for 2 minutes of operation, and there are push buttons at several locations on the outside of the barrier wall. It saves a LOT of wear on the locos:

Len

P.S. We only used Williams by Bachmann, and Bachmann On30, locos hard wired for forward operation. They hold up to heavy operation better than other brands.
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

James in FL

Explain "general store" and how long have you owned it?