News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas coupler conversion

Started by clan line 35028, July 05, 2016, 10:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clan line 35028

I found a small youtuber that has made videos on how to convert rolling stock from the Bachmann thomas range. I am sure if you give him suggestions for more rolling stock to convert he will do so. subscribe to his channel if you are interested in the conversion stuff he does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwUDtcAIpLI

WittmanStudios

As much as I'm for the idea of coupler conversions on Bachmann Thomas & Friends, I feel I need to address a few things that the vide has issues with.

1. You don't need rail clippers or wire cutters to make the indent for the coupler box. If anything, a small square/rectangular file is the easiest and safe way to make the indent for coupler conversion. Not only is it safer, but it makes a clean even cut so you won't have problems with couplers coming loose.

2. I'd highly recommend checking measurements and coupler gauges before digging away the plastic. There are so many Thomas & Friends stock that has different coupler mounting heights and also to make sure the coupler is mounted either close to or precisely on the center. Fortunately the screw hole makes alignment easy that way.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the deal. I don't want anyone to get hurt or become frustrated if things don't work out. Hope this helps.

Kemptown Branch

What is the youtuber's channel name?
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

WittmanStudios

Quote from: TrainMan2001 on July 07, 2016, 01:34:58 PM
What is the youtuber's channel name?

Looks to me like "afallentree"

Are you having trouble with the link?

clan line 35028

the channel name is Afallentree. and as far as i have seenhe does it specifically for thomas like that. all the 2 axle fright cars are the smae no matter what company be it Bachmann, hornby and dapol.

Len

Too bad 'Thomas & Friends' didn't come with NEM coupler pockets to begin with. It would have made life so much simpler.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

clan line 35028

actually those of you who did get the Toad brake van will have discovered he does have the NEM pockets. so it looks like bachmann is making a effort to start moving over. if so we will see more NEMs on newer releases.