News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachman ez track

Started by jcvecellio, July 07, 2016, 07:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcvecellio

I would like to set up an outside and inside track that can be used separately but with crossovers so that one train can use bith by switching. This way two dcc trains could work independently without coliding or one train could do more complicated raiilroading. I am new to this so I would like to know what I should purchase to accomplish this layout.

Len

This is a basic version of what you're talking about:

The inner loop uses 18" radius curves, the outer loop uses 22" radius curves. The crossovers could be shifted left or right to make room from a yard lead or industry spur track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Flare

Aside from the track, you will need a DCC controller and DCC locomotives.  Possibly a DCC booster as well depending on whether or not the locomotives are sound-equipped, the length of the trains they pull, and any grades your layout may have.

Since you want to use DCC control you aren't required use gaps or block control on any of the track.  Some still prefer it though.

If you can afford them, Bachmann also makes DCC-controlled crossovers and turnouts that you can operate from the controller without the need for wiring up additional switchboxes.

jbrock27

Quote from: Deland on July 07, 2016, 01:28:36 PM
I'm rapidly becoming a Detractor of Bachmann Turn outs. >:( They just don't seem to be well made or reliable and the thing that makes that irritating is that Bachmann has been in the business a long time and should be able to build some of the best track components. That they don't is a puzzle.

You are not alone in that thought.

Quote from: Flare on July 07, 2016, 02:01:18 PM
If you can afford them, Bachmann also makes DCC-controlled crossovers and turnouts that you can operate from the controller without the need for wiring up additional switchboxes.

Not that given the above, many recommend these turnouts, but even less I believe would recommend getting the DCC version(s).

Just food for thought; separating the track into blocks, using 2 cab controls (power packs) and Common Rail wiring, 2 trains could be run independently on DC, with each loco being controlled by separate power packs.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Deland

SOOOoooooo today a #5 Bachmann NS turnout separated at the point where the slide bar holds the "point". I'm guessing that will probably happen with the others I have. A thin piece of plastic in a semi-wear area? Really, that's the best design? I don't know how the top of the tab broke. The turnout has run for about 10-12 passes over it with a couple of derails, and I'm guessing one of them damaged it though I doubt it was very secure if so. I was actually looking for a derail fault with the loco since three others ran across it fine and this one didn't. The second time it derailed, I found the disconnect. I was hoping to use the Bachmann long enough to get a track plan finalized and figure out what ops I most wanted. I was warned Bachmann turnouts were less than desirable but I had quite a bit of the track and thought they would be OK for this and really thought the TO's might not be as bad as stated. (I think jbrock27)is one of the people who warned me against them. Crow really is that bad.

jbrock27

De, is it my imagination, or did your prior post on this thread (just ahead of Flare's) get deleted?  Quite the surprise... ::)

I may very well have been the one who warned you about them ;).  I know I have read about the awful number of problems posted about them and have commented on it.  And I do recall one of my friends, who posted here, had awful trouble with his Bmann Crossover.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Deland

Quote from: jbrock27 on July 07, 2016, 07:06:48 PM
De, is it my imagination, or did your prior post on this thread (just ahead of Flare's) get deleted?  Quite the surprise... ::)

I may very well have been the one who warned you about them ;).  I know I have read about the awful number of problems posted about them and have commented on it.  And I do recall one of my friends, who posted here, had awful trouble with his Bmann Crossover.

Only if we have parallel imaginations.

Joe323

You can use Atlas Turnouts with bachmann track just use cork roadbed and if needed cardstock to raise the track to ez track height. Avoids the dreaded turnout nightmare.

Len

Quote from: Joe323 on July 09, 2016, 09:25:39 AM
You can use Atlas Turnouts with bachmann track just use cork roadbed and if needed cardstock to raise the track to ez track height. Avoids the dreaded turnout nightmare.

The Atlas Code 100 turnout rails are the same as the EZ-Track, same for Peco Code 100 turnouts. The Code 83 rail turnouts have smaller rails, so while it's possible to use them, getting them to line up correctly is a bit more work.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Joe323

Len thats what I meant. Atlas also makes code 83 to code 100 rail joiners.  But If I were using ez track I would use code 100 for a the turnouts anyway.

Trainman203

I have about 8 or 9 Bachmann EZ track no. 5 switches.  Two or three give me hell.  But really, no more than the competition's very "snappy" switches in some other locations. They've all made their demands and taken their toll of energy and emotion, "after" ballasting, of course.

This is my rookie layout and I am learning "everything."

jbrock27

What problems have you experienced  with the "snappy" switches?  Could they have been caused by ballasting and not a flaw in the turnout/switch?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Primarily it was the tendency of rolling stock to pick the points and try to go the wrong way especially when the turnout was inthe divergent setting. Filing the points helped a lot but did not completely cure the problem.  I am pretty sure that the wire used to hold he points was too flimsy.

I did not replace the turnouts as I had to tear that layout down. When I built my new layout I used atlas turnouts with Caboose Industry ground throws and that has solved the issue because the points are held tight against the stock rail. Even before I installed the ground throws the Altas switches held tight though.

jbrock27

Sorry Joe, didn't realize you had problems as well.  My question had been directed to TM203.

Quote from: Joe323 on July 15, 2016, 07:32:25 AM
I am pretty sure that the wire used to hold he points was too flimsy.

Are you talking about the other brands turnouts/switches or B'manns?  If other brand, are you referring to the wire on their old style switch machines?  If so, any different experience with the plastic pin (typically white or black plastic) that was used instead in the later made switch machines?

Quote from: Joe323 on July 15, 2016, 07:32:25 AM
I am pretty sure that the wire used to hold he points was too flimsy.

Even before I installed the ground throws the Altas switches held tight though.

I am confused.  Are you are talking about the same brand switches/turnouts in these 2 sentences?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

The Bachmann turnouts have the flimsy wire.  This allows the turnout to move off the stock rail

The ground throws are for Atlas and other non Bachmann turnouts and when used seem to help hold the points tight.