News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Finally got to spend a little time on the east end of the railroad.

As you look at the photos, imagine a tall, removable hill in the middle, where the mine's main conveyor will transfer the coal.

The external drop bin will have a couple of big trucks to receive coal as well (I hope).

It's all very raw so far, but I've got some idea how this will turn out.

Regards,

Jonathan

Lights!

Jhanecker2

Looking  Good  Jonathon  !!!    John2.

J3a-614

Looking good as always. . .will have to add that little black detail to the roundhouse in time.

http://www.4449.com/aboutus.html

jonathan

;D. Hah!  I saved all my cats n dogs from the last layout. They'll find a home eventually.

Regards,

Jonathan

James in FL

Food for thought...
Trucks will not be able to get in, or out, surrounded by all that track, unless the Mine wants to build a costly bridge.
Move the conveyer to the other side of the building, 180°, extend it, and attach it to the mountain.
With the conveyer toward the top of the building, it suggests incoming rather than loading.
I think, forget the trucks, everything ships by rail.

Never forget rule #1... it's your railroad.

Looks great jonathan!

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Martha

Jonathan, what is the purpose for the black cloth you hang above your layout?

Do you put train car kits together? I have a HO scale plastic passenger car kit but it didn't come with glue. do you have a preference with glue?

What type (enamel or acrylic gloss or flat) and brand of paints do you use on the cars?

I admire your work and attention to details. The lighted round house is incredible. Those types of detail sets you apart from the wannabes.

Great work!!!

M

jonathan

Thank you, Martha. Very kind.

Let's see...

The cloth was the skirting from my last layout. Wanted to recycle it. I'm still adjusting, but the plan was to surround the layout like a theater stage... in black. Results are iffy.

I've gone through a number of spray paint brands:  Floquil, Testors, Tamiya, Scalecoat... you name it. I prime all my work with a gray primer from Home Depot. Right now, the only quality spray paint still available is Tamiya. Scalecoat II is great, but harder to get.

I try to use exclusively craftsman kits for my rolling stock. Most of the kits are assembled with elmers super glue. I also use 5 minute epoxy when a joint is crucial and needs to be extra strong.

Admittedly, some ready-to-run pieces still make it to the track.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Love the look of the stone block wall. :)

Martha, regarding glue, Testor's Model Glue in a tube can work well especially in places where it won't be seen on the finished product or where it is going to get filed once dried.  It can get "stringy" which is why it is good to use it in spots where it won't be seen.  They make 2 kinds, a Get High version and Not Get High version, LOL :D.    Testor's also makes a liquid cement that gets brushed on with it's own brush; this does not leave strings but has a faster set time.  I have used both to put together covered hopper car kits for example.

For spray paints, I find any quality Krylon or Rustoleum spray can paint that includes use on plastic works well.  Flat colors, several light coats to get the job done right.  If you are repainting something already painted, it pays to soak the previously painted plastic in 91% alcohol that can be found at Walmart's pharmacy section.  This strips the old paint off.  Just enough alcohol to contact the plastic.  I like to put the item in a Zip Loc bag and then put enough alcohol in to make contact with all painted parts.  Let is sit for a few days, then wash the plastic good with dish liquid soap and warm water.  Some folks have a specific covered plastic container, like Tupperware or similar they like to use instead of a throw away Zip Loc bag.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Martha

Love the look of the stone block wall.
Quote from: jbrock27 on December 27, 2016, 08:59:37 AM
Love the look of the stone block wall. :)

What is the stone wall? Paper?Plastic?Hand painted?Store bought? I will be needing some of that!

jonathan

The stone wall is a soft plastic that comes in sheets. It's textured. The sheets are thin so should be attached with white glue or spray adhesive. Most model glues will melt the sheet.

These sheets are common at train shows. I got mine for around 5-6 dollars a sheet (4 X 18 inches I think).

Regards,

Jonathan

Martha

jonathan

After some contemplation, I have taken James' advice and moved the conveyor to the opposite side of the mine structure:

I made a cover for the hole, using some scribed wood and strip wood:

Now I don't have to build an added hill on the other side of the mine.  On the other hand, now I have to find a way to fill in all the extra space on east end of the railroad:

Thanks!  I think...

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Quote from: jonathan on December 28, 2016, 06:58:25 AM
After some contemplation, I have taken James' advice and moved the conveyor to the opposite side of the mine structure

Looks like it belongs.

For those of us who don't frequent the train show circuit, is there a manufacturer's name to the "stone/block" sheets? 

Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Noch, Vollmer, and Faller all make a fairly wide variety of random and cut 'stone' sheets.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.