News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 23, 2016, 08:14:37 PM
What else is out there that will work here like Photobucket does?

I use Fotki.

Sid

jonathan

OK, guess I'll keep posting often.  Thanks

Started a Fotki account.  Never heard of it before.  Let's see if it works:

http://images59.fotki.com/v1640/photos/8/3734628/14166112/DSC_0043-vi.jpg

oops:
Hosted on Fotki

OK took a few minutes to figure out, but I think I got it.  Thanks, Sid!  So far, no "add" delays.

Cool

Regards,

Jonathan

James in FL

@ jonathan  We all love pics of anything rail related, especially pics of progress on a new layout, please keep posting.
@Len I too use Ad Block plus with Firefox and no longer have the annoying pop-ups, on any site I visit.
@jbrock27  I used to use a program called Imageshack years ago. It worked here but do not recall why I switched to photobucket, IIRC it was very limited on space, more so than photobucket. Not sure if it still is that way. If you want a look see, it's here;
https://imageshack.us/

Len

Adblock Plus is also available for the Chrome browser if that's what you use.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Irbricksceo

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 23, 2016, 08:14:37 PM
What else is out there that will work here like Photobucket does?

I'm an imgur user myself.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 23, 2016, 08:20:22 PM
Like Len stated there is Firefox

Thank you Jerry, but I know Firefox as a web browser not a holding place for photos.  I used Firefox at one time.  Now I use Chrome.

Thank you Sid, James, Len and Brick.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Starting to get use to Fotki for photo sharing.  That was a great tip, Sid.

For this hillside, I have painted brown where the foliage will be planted and gray where there will be exposed rock.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I'll start with the grass, bushes and trees... 'cause I'm terrible at rocks!

Hey... wanna see something really scary?

AAAAAuuuuuuugh!
Hosted on Fotki

Happy Halloween.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jhanecker2

To Jonathon :  I sympathize  with you regarding the complexity of wiring .   I had a similar issue with the wiring  of my Main Stereo  System in Chicago . The system was set up  for  Quadraphonic  operation and had  twenty-five  pieces of powered equipment and set into three towers . The wiring did not show from the
front but was  evident if you could get a look behind the towers .  Making modifications and sending equipment to be repaired was a major task as the towers would have to be moved away from the wall to access the connections .   The connections  were in multiple Layers with power lines , speaker wires , DIN cables, RCA cables , and antenna wires interwoven . Contemplating doing the work some times required a stiff drink.  It was a great piece of sonic assembly and supported  some truly awesome parties . It was disassembled when we moved but  never had a place to reassemble it . Pieces of it are used in several areas but most of the specialized  equipment is stored away . Hope springs eternal that it will rise again .   The bones of technology may not always look pretty but if they work that is all that  really matters .  John2.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

So...Is there a color code to the wiring, or is it random bits and pieces??

Len

jonathan

:) Len,  Yes there is a color code.

Red and Green wires are power supply for track.  Red and black are power supply for the turntable motor.

Blue and White wires are North and South on the stall tracks.  North and South are oriented the same on the first 10 stalls, then switch places for the remaining 7 stalls.  Hard to tell in this mess, but the blue and white wires do switch places about halfway through.

Of course, after a while, it all starts to look like a jumble.  And I still have three more stalls to go.  ;D

I have to get in the zone when I crawl under there to wire up the tracks.

The wiring for the main line uses a different kind of wire, so I can tell the difference when I'm under the layout.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Well, this little mountain was not turning out at all.  I was going to give up on it, but at the last minute, the right ground color and foam adding technique started to make this thing look ok... for a background piece of scenery anyway:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

The base color ended up a mixture of "cafĂ©" (that's what it's called... looks like tan) and white.  I then blew most of the ground foam on.  You add the adhesive to the mountain (white glue), put the ground foam in your cupped hand, and "blow" it onto the mountain.  Cool.  I saw it done in an old Keller video from 1979 or so.

Regards,

Jonathan

HoModeler

Your mountain scene looks really good scenery is really starting to look good. Now the wiring that's another issue although everything is powered up & working & the wires are under the layout. I would of taken a little more time & routed the wires more neatly. My layout wires under my layout are nicely routed no jumbled mess & even have the wires marked & direction & what there for I wrote on my layout support legs with a sharpie.

jonathan

Yep.  Wiring is not my forte!  :) 

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

For the turntable wiring in your pic I would have used 18ga lamp cord. The two conductors are locked together, so you can route it almost like a single wire. And one side has ridges, the other sides smooth, so you can keep the polarity straight. It also comes in a variety of colors, e.g., white, black, brown, grey, blue, and clear. So you can use different colors for different things.

Len