News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Building a New Layout

Started by jonathan, August 13, 2016, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoModeler

After 4 years of building my layout hear it is in it's current form @ this point my layout is 95% done just added & wired in the accent lighting over this weekend. There is also a few more new photos as well on there too

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Awesome. This is why man invented basements!

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK, this is the side that will be closest to the observer:

I had much better luck using less glue.

Also, for the barbed wire, I used my new favorite modeling medium:  2lb test fishing line.  I tried that twisted wire technique on the youtube video... not so good for me. 

In the morning, I'll try lightly brushing on some aluminum paint to the fence and barbed wire.  Then the "high voltage" and "no trespassing" signs go up.  Finally, a bit of dullcote and weathering, and we're in there.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

tiebreaker

So real looking. What are your plans for the ground. Most substations in my area have gravel.

jonathan

Thanks, guys.

Yes, gravel will be on the deck. I'm using fine buff ballast for gravel.

Now the fun begins.  Just a bit of weathering is needed.  Then it's time for installation onto the removable panel with the power station. There is a '41-'46 Westinghouse box truck out there, that I'm hoping to find at the train show this weekend.  That should make a nice accent near the open gate.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

The glue is still drying on the ballast and ground foam, but I took a few shots while the panel is removed from the layout.  I'll have to keep it this way for a while. I've got other work to do with the access hole open.

Anyway, here are three photos.  The first one is the most visible side to the observer:

Then the least visible side.... Unfortunate, as I like this side, too;

and the coolest side:

I did a little bit of weathering on the substation and fence.  Wanted to go farther, but couldn't bring myself to do it after all that detail work.

Perhaps next week some time, I'll have this scene back in and wired up.  Then I'll take a couple last shots while in its permanent location.

Regards,

Jonathan

dutchbuilder

Nice job Jonathan.
It's a pity that you can see the seam on the stack.
Maybe hide it with a lightning deflector.

Ton

jonathan

Thanks, DB.

Yes, this is a 20-year-old version of the power plant kit.  The stack came in 4 pieces.  The new version of the kit comes with a one-piece stack.  Hence, I oriented the stack in the back of the scene.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

This is one facility you might want to go easy with weathering.  A lot of utility structures like this were lovingly maintained, both as a matter of pride and for safety.

Woody Elmore

Jon - great work as usual but the purple 55 Chevy needs a trip to the paint shop! It's not a color from the era you are modelling.

As for trailing trucks - I think there was one in the Cal Scale line. Bowser now owns the line - worth a shot.

You obviously have tremendous patience to put that whole powerhouse structure together.

James in FL

Just love that sub-station kit, wish I could find that in N.
Excellent workmanship.
I have enjoyed following this thread and watching a Craftsman build a layout.
Beautiful work Jonathan, on the entire build.
Salute.

HoModeler

WOW Looks good for 20+ year old kit you must of had that kit sitting around for some time LOL... Nice work on building the hole power station. Do you have any plans for inside lighting I think that would add a nice accent to your layout.... I am actually thinking of adding some exterior light poles & on my buildings of my Mine area & cigar factory to add a little more to my layout...

But NICE JOB on the build...

jonathan

Wow. Thanks, folks. You're very kind.

J3a, got it... no more weathering.  :)

Woody, great to hear from you again.  You mean in 1955 I couldn't get a Chevy in purple?  ;D
So far, the only Hodge trucks I've found are very expensive.  Don't know if I want to spend that much for fidelity.

Yes, there is lighting... just haven't connected to the bus feed yet.  I need to do some work without the panel in place.  Will show it lit up when I get some more work done.

Regards,

Jonathan