News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers for Big Haulers?

Started by william1, November 25, 2007, 07:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

william1

Are there any better couplers available than the plastic stock ones ?

VirginiaCentral

I use Kadees.  It's a holdover from my HO days.

A good friend of mine recommends just painting the Bachmann couplers to keep them from accidentally uncoupling.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Paul W.

If uncoupling is the issue, here's an idea as well

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/construction/lsbuild/coupler.html

A good friend of mine also paints his couplers to keep them from uncoupling during runs, and he runs very long strings of cars.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

mackers

I always use USA couplers, they're smaller, more realiistic and cheaper then KDs, so far so good, and I've been using them for many years......Mac

Loco Bill Canelos

William, 

If you just don't like the way the Bachmann couplers look then I also recommend Kadee,   But I have to agree that I have no problems with my stock couplers and find they are greatly improved in operation and looks by painting them.  I use either
Krylon Camo Flat Brown, or the cheapest Red oxide flat primer.  The bite created by the paint seems to improve operation, and I get nice complements on how realistic the couplers look.  I remove them and hold the coupler with a needlenose pliers and spray them with a couple of light coats of the paint, when dry I check the movement of the working parts and reinstall them.  I like the red oxide best.

Happy Railroading
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!