suggestion for next n scale steam locomotive.

Started by RGW, September 15, 2016, 01:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

Bachmann         just a idea for a future N scale steam. Seems every railroad had 0-8-0s.        Maybe a spectrum USRA 0-8-0 .

Here is a freelance 0-8-0 I build out of a micro-ace 2-8-0 chassis& motor ( 51  inch drivers) using a Bachmann 2-8-0 boiler / cab shortened to fit there sideways motor. The cab is the only place the stock motor would fit. Reshaping the  cylinders was the hardest part and I feel they are a little small for the engine.
and the tender is a spectrum USRA short with a modified Atlas tender shell.  This type of  tender would also be useful on other steam locomotives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgjYRcrwqSc       Before and after video.

Just a idea.       Bachmann thanks for your great running steam.

brokemoto

Life-Like Walthers did a USRA 0-8-0.  The first run was HOON-kay.  Supposedly the second run was allright, but I did not buy any, as the first one left such a sour taste in my mouth.

There is an announced USRA light 2-8-2 in HO.  I suspect that it might be the next N scale steam.  What is funny is that in HO, B-mann is not offering it in B&O.  B&O had one hundred of the originals that lasted until the end of steam.  The first USRA locomotive ever built, a light 2-8-2 built for the B&O still exists.  It is at the B&O museum in Baltimore.  I was surprised that B-mann did not announce a B&O road name for that one.   I would be happy to see a USRA light 2-8-2/4-6-2.  Yes, Model Power did them a number of years back and MRC has picked up the line.  Still, the models suffer from 1970s construction methods that MRC has done only the minimum to address.   The tender still is not all wheels live, which is the modern standard.

B-mann could issue a few locomotives fudged onto existing chassis.  An A-2a or a Niagara come to mind.  Several Pacifics are possible.

spookshow

I wonder if Walthers is ever going to re-release the old LL 0-8-0? It's been 8 years since the last run and the announced re-run a few years ago was cancelled for some reason.

-Mark

mopac1982

James in FL

QuoteI wonder if Walthers is ever going to re-release the old LL 0-8-0? It's been 8 years since the last run and the announced re-run a few years ago was cancelled for some reason.

The Walthers 0-8-0 and Life-Like 2-8-4 are two of the smoothest mechanisms of all time in n scale.
I wish both would be re-run.
Both still command high prices on eBay, the quality is that good, better than most all, even after ten years or so.

propmeup1

I been on the trail for a good Y6B myself too. Three Rivs had had better days and if Bachmann made them as good as their EM-1s they would be awesome. Have all four road numbers and triple head sometimes.  It's a sight to behold.

Get adventurist and go Pennsy T1 or J1,

Keith

bnoem1

As noted previously, I hope Bachmann will produce a couple of versions of a Pacific 4-6-2.  Particularly a streamlined P7-d for the B & O and others.  The Model Power are supposed to be good but the lack of free standing detail is a huge turnoff.  In light of the DCC and Sound version of the Pennsy K-4, we might even wish for the Pacifics to have sound and DCC.

plas man

a Canadian Pacific 'Royal Hudson' would be nice , or a proper Canadian 'F' unit and passenger stock .

(the Flying Scotsman in full USA trim would be nice )

RGW

We all have a favorite engines that we would like to see.  However Bachmann needs to sell enough to make a profit on there engines.

I beleave there would be a market for a SPECTRUM QUALITY USRA   0-6-0 , 0-8-0 and  4-6-2 . Many railroads had theses engines.

RGPerkins

Bachmann has some dc locomotives that would be a welcome addition if released as dcc dual mode and dcc with sound.  I would hope they would be in the Spectrum line is that is still active.
As already stated above, some in B&O prototype would be very welcome.

in_eden

Quote from: bnoem1 on September 17, 2016, 12:10:32 AM
As noted previously, I hope Bachmann will produce a couple of versions of a Pacific 4-6-2.  Particularly a streamlined P7-d for the B & O and others.  The Model Power are supposed to be good but the lack of free standing detail is a huge turnoff.  In light of the DCC and Sound version of the Pennsy K-4, we might even wish for the Pacifics to have sound and DCC.

Any B&O heavy pacific... P7 variant would be welcome. I would really love a P7-d, or anything after the olive green era.
The Model Power pacific is a strong puller, moderately smooth runner, but all-together rough around the edges. Details and sound are a far cry from Bachmann and the Broadway Limited M1a (which is the best n scale steamer I've ever seen top-to-bottom).
The Bachmann K4 crushes the Model Power 4-6-2 in every measurable way.

Oh- while we are on the topic... How about a DCC/Sound equipped run of the Heavy 4-8-2? Dress one up in B&O as they had a rather nice dual-service prototype in the T3/4. Oh, and also anything that may B&O.

The most glaring omission from the N Scale pantheon right now has to be a quality NYC Hudson.

Honestly, keep making N Scale Steam, keep checking the boxes off... we will all be happy eventually I guess.

Maletrain

"Oh- while we are on the topic... How about a DCC/Sound equipped run of the Heavy 4-8-2? Dress one up in B&O as they had a rather nice dual-service prototype in the T3/4. Oh, and also anything that may B&O."

The B&O T3s and T4s were actually quite different.  The T3 is closest to the Bachmann USRA Light Mountain.  Drivers are the same 70" size and the boilers are about the same proportions. The B&O T4s had 73" drivers and bigger boilers, being 42,000 lbs heavier than the T3s.  The Bachmann USRA Heavy Mountains could be made to stand-in for a T4, but would not look much like a T3.

inkaneer

My vote goes for a 2-10-0 decapod, specifically a PRR I1.   Actually doing PRR steam has economic advantages for a manufacturer.  The PRR standardized everything they could.  So freight power had the same diameter drivers as well as pilot and trailing trucks/wheels. Valve gear was standardized as well.  Same with tenders.  The Bachmann 2-8-0 would need a new boiler casting to be an H 8,9,10 and could be the basis for a L1 2-8-2 or an I1 2-10-0.

propmeup1

I just converted over a Kato 2-8-2 into a L1 using parts from a Trix 2-10-0 body which is the same body they used on their K4 and a Bach K4 selection of parts.      Many things from the L1 was used on the K4 and I believe the boiler was pretty much the same thing.

Keith