Rookie Mistake - EZ Track and DCC

Started by MilwaukeeRoadFan, September 16, 2016, 01:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilwaukeeRoadFan

First time posting and brand new to the hobby --- sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before:

On my first layout, I purchased an EZ-Track (black) starter set and extra track (turnouts included). I am now learning about DCC and running multiple locomotives on one track. Did I make a rookie mistake and can't run multiple trains on EZ black tracks? Also, can analog trains only run on this type of track? EZ-Command can't work on these tracks?

Looks like I may have made an expensive error - I blame it on ignorance LOL! Looks like I need to save my $$$ for the grey tracks?

Thank you in advance and sorry for asking this question.

jbrock27

If a mistake was made, it was to purchase steel (black) track and not nickel silver (grey) track.  So yes, save your dough and buy the n/s track.  Steel is difficult for several reasons, most of all to keep clean and to be able to solder to the rails if need be.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

short answer, dcc will run on any type of track that conducts electricity. this includes steel track.

BUT

dcc works by passing a control signal through those rails. this signal is easily corrupted by dirty track, which can result in the locomotive not running, or worse, loss of control at whatever speed it was running when the control station last recognized the signal. in this case the locomotive will continue to run oblivious to all commands sent to it, until the decoder gets one it can recognize.

steel track is notoriously hard to keep clean, thus it is more susceptible to signal corruption.

the takeaway: do not use steel track with dcc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

If you're not setting up a permanent layout right away, you can always use the steel track until you can afford to get the n/s track. You have to make sure you keep it clean until you do.
Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

Quote from: Terry Toenges on September 18, 2016, 01:03:11 AM
you can always use the steel track until you can afford to get the n/s track.

Let me ask, which is going to come first, the frustration created from using steel track or the money to purchase nickel silver track?

As has already been repeated on this Thread, steel track is a poor choice for DCC bc of the difficulty in keeping it clean.  
It has been suggested on this Forum in the past that purchasing a DCC set that comes with steel track, if found for a good price, can be a sound expenditure bc of what your $$ can purchase, outside of the steel track.  This advice is practical and makes a lot of sense. If I was such a person to go about it this way, I would be sure to also set aside the dough to buy nickel silver track, treating the steel track as a "throwaway" item from my set purchase (granted it can be used for sidings where electrical conductivity and continuity is of much less importance.)

Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I am wondering how well the steel track would work with the EZ App trains. since the control signal is sent by Bluetooth, rather than through the rails, this might possibly be a better choice if you are going to try to use your steel track. at worst, your train should run as it would on straight dc.......

just a thought.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

I don't know but the 2 train sets Bachmann sells with EZ App both come with nickel silver track if that says anything.