News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann dome car color question?

Started by RGW, September 20, 2016, 05:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

I have stripped the paint for a Bachmann Dome car including the seats under the dome. I plan on painting up in the Milwaukee Road UP color scene. Does any body know the seat and interior color for theses cars?

Side note.  91% alcohol work very good for removing the paint.

Desertdweller

The Milwaukee full-length domes (as used on the UP) were built by Pullman-Standard and had smooth sides.  The Bachmann cars are models of the Budd-built cars used on the Santa Fe and were stainless steel with ribbed sides.

Because of the lack of Pullman-Standard full domes in N scale, I had to use Budd domes to represent these cars.  I took the same approach you are using.

I used to ride the Milwaukee Road cars quite often in Milwaukee Road service.  As I recall, the floor in the area under the dome was a dark green vynal tile.  The seats were upholstered in red vynal.

I do not recall the floor covering in the lower area.  I think the seating in the lower lounge area was upholstered in red or orange vynal.

These models are quite versatile, and are a better choice for production than the Pullman-standard car.  In addition to the Santa Fe, they are appropriate for AMTRAK, Great Northern, McKinley Explorer, and Royal Gorge.  Use rooftop air conditioners for the latter two.  Also, I kitbashed one with a Con-Cor smooth side diner to make a SP 3/4 length dome.  I shortened the "glass" dome and spliced it into the Con-Cor roof.  I shortened the Bachmann seating area under the dome and built new framing from plastic strip.  Wider plastic strip was used to blank windows in the lower portion of the car as appropriate.

This car should be painted for the train you plan to run it in.  I painted mine in the orange/red/black Daylight scheme.  It could also be painted UP yellow/gray for Cities service, or silver with a red letterboard for Golden State service.  It could also be painted in an early AMTRAK scheme.

Les

RGW

Thank you for your help .      I think I will sand the sides smooth and fill in the extra window  and paint it in UP colors to match my  other Milw passenger cars cars.

Desertdweller

RGW,

You could of course do that, and that was an option I considered.  I chose not to do that, because the dome would still be wrong.  Note that the windows on the Budd domes are longer than they are tall.  The Pullman-standard dome windows are taller than they are wide.

I noticed that the seats in the dome in the photos are upholstered in fabric, not the vynal I remember.  I suppose the cars were re-upholstered in vynal to make them easier to clean.

These were very impressive cars.  On the Milwaukee Road, the dome area was open to all passengers.  On the Great Northern, this area was reserved for first-class passengers.

Les