News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

modeling question

Started by crash, September 23, 2016, 04:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash

How are you suppose to attach signs to the front of buildings. I'm referring to the cornerstone "Merchants Row 1 building kit. The box shows them sticking out from the building, but no instructions on how to do that. Probably a real small drill pit for a pilot hole if you can find one. Any suggestings?

CNE Runner

Crash - I used a small drill bit to make pilot holes and inserted the sign brackets within (after first putting a small amount of CA on the brackets). In place of CA, you could use some styrene-compatible glue. It has been years and the signs are still in place. Any glue should be applied to the BACK of the structure walls - so it isn't seen. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

crash

What size bit did you use. I know 1/16th is too big.

Len

You might want to pick up a set of wire gauge (#1 - #60) if you're going to do much model work. Harbor Freight has them for a reasonable price: http://www.harborfreight.com/60-pc-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-numbered-drill-bit-set-61690.html

Wire gauge drill bits give a better spread of intermediate sizes than inch drill bit sets. You'll probably find the #50 will be the most used, as it's the tap drill for 2-56 screws.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Joe323

A pin vise is a valuable tool for drilling small holes

Maletrain

Not sure what size holes you need to drill for your signs, but I often have a need to drill holes smaller than #60.  "Gauge" (that is "numbered") drill bits between #61 and #80 are often used by modelers, and can be bought is sets.  On the other hand, a #1 bit is quite large, nearly 1/4", and sets with numbers below about #40 are not very useful for modeling, and can be costly.  A set from #41 to #60 is also available, with the largest (#41) bit being just a tad bigger tha 3/32".  Here is a link to drill bit sizes: http://bobmay.astronomy.net/misc/drillchart.htm .

Len

Quote from: Maletrain on September 25, 2016, 03:11:35 PM
Not sure what size holes you need to drill for your signs, but I often have a need to drill holes smaller than #60.  "Gauge" (that is "numbered") drill bits between #61 and #80 are often used by modelers, and can be bought is sets.  On the other hand, a #1 bit is quite large, nearly 1/4", and sets with numbers below about #40 are not very useful for modeling, and can be costly.  A set from #41 to #60 is also available, with the largest (#41) bit being just a tad bigger tha 3/32".  Here is a link to drill bit sizes: http://bobmay.astronomy.net/misc/drillchart.htm .

While they may not be useful for building a building model, the larger sizes are useful around the layout. For instance, drilling feeder wire drop holes, etc. And $20 for a set of 60 bits isn't all that costly. Especially when some places are charging over $20 for a #41-#60 set: http://www.micromark.com/20-piece-Drill-Bit-Set-41-60,8183.html?sc=WGB&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=COv5n-KjrM8CFdU8gQod4RoKcA

Len

Maletrain

Len, I followed your link to the #41-#60 set for $20+ at MicroMark.  But, you didn't give us a link to a full set of 60 bits from #1 to #60 for anything like $20.  Do you have one to share?

As for drilling holes in layouts, etc., you don't really need the precision in the hole sizes that a numbered drill bit provides.  Any set that graduates in 1/32nd, or even 1/16th of an inch is fine for that, and those are available cheap.  The numbered bits are more used in metal work, where clearances are more easily established and maintained, so more precise hole diameters have some real benefit.

Jhanecker2

maletrain : len gave you a link to Harbor Freight .  they have some of the most inexpensive prices for tools you are likely to see . Good tools are a lifetime investment .   You are not going to get  gauge set #1 to #60  for $20 .  Price tools  at Sears , Menards , Home Depot , Lowes , Farm & Fleet , or Ace Hardware and see if you can get a better price . John 2.

Maletrain

John, Oops, that was in his first post, which I did not read again when I came back to read more recent posts.  $19.99 is a really good price for that many bits.  Assuming they are good quality.

Len

Quote from: Maletrain on September 26, 2016, 07:46:55 PM
John, Oops, that was in his first post, which I did not read again when I came back to read more recent posts.  $19.99 is a really good price for that many bits.  Assuming they are good quality.

I purchased two sets about 15 years ago, figuring some would probably break at a bad time, for an even lower price. I still have both complete sets, and they've seen a lot of hard use.

Len

crash

Thanks to you all. I'm off to Harbor Freight!