News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ON30 coach / obsrvation railings

Started by geoghb, September 11, 2016, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoghb

I am in need of the observation railings usually packed with the observation car.  I have a unique project and need 6 sets of railings, i.e., a set of railings for each end of 3 cars.  The Phila. parts store does not have them and apparently trying to contact the factory or KADER industries in China does not elicit any response.  This appears to be a useless exercise and I am disappointed that is the case.  If anyone including Bachmann can help or advise please contact George at geoghb@erols.com                  Thankyou 

Kevin Strong

I was potting around looking for O scale detail parts the other night for the 2-6-0 I just acquired, and Precision Scale sells end railing castings for passenger cars. That, or you can solder them up from brass rod fairly easily. I usually work in 1:20, and bend all my own hand rails and grab irons. O scale is smaller, but no less difficult.

Later,

K

dutchbuilder

I made some railings myself and I used a home made soldering jig.
Saves a lot of work.

Ton

geoghb

Apparently Bachmann just ignores answering the mail.  I emailed Bachmann in China and also Kader in China, this list and the Phila parts store.  The latter doesn't have the parts and no official replies otherwise.  I know about scratch building but having the correct parts is much better, especially while they are still made in the factory.  It isn't customer friendly to ignore paying customers.  They make a big deal about supplying simple parts.  I like companies that answer the mail.

George Barsky
geoghb@erols.com 

Bucksco

George - you would probably get a more direct answer if you gave us a call in Philadelphia and spoke to the parts manager. We do our best to answer questions and inquiries. As far as the parts that you are looking for are concerned Bachmann sells spare parts online for locomotives. We receive very few requests for parts for rolling stock other than wheel assemblies and couplers so we do not stock spare parts for freight and passenger cars. We do not produce spare parts to sell - we produce a production run of an item and in the case of locomotives we usually have a small percentage of parts left over from that production run to sell as "spares" and once these are depleted we will not have more until we do another production run of that locomotive. So long story short is that we do not specifically produce parts to sell - we provide the surplus of production run parts for locomotives as a service item.
We are sorry that we cannot provide the part you are looking for.

dutchbuilder

This feels like a business opportunity for someone.
After-market parts for model trains. ;D

Ton

geoghb

How difficult would it be for the parts store manager to contact the factory and tell them a customer needs those parts for a project?  I suppose if my name were Disney or Obama they would be delivered the next day.  Why didn't the factory or Kader reply to me?  Maybe I'm interested in buying the company and I was testing their so called service.  But I am a crummy cheap unimportant model train enthusiast who should know better than relying on Bachmann to supply some simple parts that are available at the factory for 10 cents.

mabloodhound

Grandt Line makes the end railing for O scale cars.
Half way down this page: http://www.grandtline.com/products/mrr/mrr%20car%20and%20loco%20detail%20parts/o%20details/o_passenger_details.html
Many dealers carry these parts or you can order direct.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

p51

Quote from: dutchbuilder on September 25, 2016, 02:12:17 PM
This feels like a business opportunity for someone.
After-market parts for model trains. ;D
There's an entire industry devoted to the Lionel stuff for extra parts. I know a guy who's made a very nice living doing only that.
-Lee