News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dcc Engines Shorting Out

Started by cdat1963, October 16, 2016, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdat1963

This is probably a dumb question but I will try. I am a newbie to DCC and recently upgraded from Ez Command to Dynamis. Since I converted most of my engines stop in a few places on the track, usually at turnouts. My layout is 4 ft by 7 1/2 long, a double track oval. I have a set of feeders to each oval. I clean the track but the same engines stop at the same spots. Do I need more feeders or is there something else I need to look at?
Thank You

jbrock27

Before going to DCC, did you run DC locos with no problem on this same layout?  If the answer is no, then it sounds to me like you have created a "reverse loop" in your layout.  Need more info on what that is or would you like to research what that is and determine for yourself if is that is what you have done and that is what the problem is?
Keep Calm and Carry On

cdat1963

I never had that problem with dc and I do not have a reverse loop
Thanks though

jward

if you did have a short due to a reverse loop it would have shut down the layout so that nothing would run. this would be true dc or dcc.

a more likely scenario is that your locomotives are losing contact on the switches (turnouts)

one of the most common things that happens is that the points lose contact with their adjacent stock rails, making the entire switchpoint a dead spot. this is easy to confirm with a multimeter by taking voltage readings between the switchpoint and the opposite rail. the voltage will read the same as the voltage across the rails on a regular piece of track. if it reads 0 you have a dead point.

fortunately the fix is pretty simple. solder a jumper wire from the point to the adjacent stock rail. be careful that you do not accidentally solder the hinge on the point so that it no longer pivots, it is best to solder your jumper to the inside bottom edge of the point, maybe 1/2 inch ahead of the hinge, and route the wire under the roadbed to the stock rail. you can make your connection anywhere on that stock rail, but solder to the outside edge of the rail. since you made your joint to the point on the inside edge where the wheels run, you may need to carefully file the solder away to clear the wheels.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Squallywally

I was having similar issues with a couple of my locos. I noticed a particular loco would only stop on a turn out going a certain direction on either a facing point or trailing point. I found that one of the pickup/ contact wires on one of the trucks had come unconnected. I use dead frog turn outs and the loco would stall out on the frog on the side that the wire was disconnected.

Just something to check.

Len

From the OP: "I clean the track but the same engines stop at the same spots."

That doesn't sound like a short, more like a dead spot. Is this same spot on a turnout, or somewhere else?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

You are welcome cdat but I am sorry my answer was not helpful.

In the past, I have come across an excellent YouTube video of how to do just what Mr. Ward suggests with the turnout, on a traditional turnout/switch, but can imagine it would be a little more difficult to do with EZ track since the roadbed is already attached.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

cdat,

As jward suggests, I have had similar problems with turnouts, where certain locomotives are particularly sensitive to loss-of-contact, while travelling through a turnout.

For me, the solution has been to solder a feeder wire to the rail that exists between the switch point and the frog, if you get my meaning.  I'm sure that particular rail has a name, but I can't think of it at the moment.  I think it is fairly common for that rail to lose its conductivity, as I believe is relies on its conductivity from the switch point connection.

jward suggests soldering feeders to the switch points which is an excellent solution I'm sure.  I just soldered to the next section of rail in the turnout.  Just another way to tackle the same problem.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

But you do not utilize EZ track turnouts/switches JV, correct?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

That is correct.  I have never tried an EZtrack turnout.  So there may be some idiosyncrasy of which I am unaware.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Quote from: jonathan on October 18, 2016, 07:28:03 AM
I have never tried an EZtrack turnout.
Regards,

Jonathan

You should consider yourself lucky then...

So there may be some idiosyncrasy of which I am unaware.

Regards,

Jonathan

Yep, that is what I am thinking. 

I would like to see or see described, how to accomplish what has been suggested with an EZ track turnout/switch.  I know how it can be easily accomplished with an aforementioned traditional turnout/switch that does not have roadbed molded in, but with an EZ track one...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 18, 2016, 08:47:26 PM
I have never tried an EZtrack turnout.
Regards,

Jonathan

You should consider yourself lucky then...

I would like to see or see described, how to accomplish what has been suggested with an EZ track turnout/switch.  I know how it can be easily accomplished with an aforementioned traditional turnout/switch that does not have roadbed molded in, but with an EZ track one...

Well you tend to bash Bachmann so much my question is " Have you ever tried any Bachmann products besides engines. You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on their products.
I have over 10 switches and had usual problems with the points as other manufacturers.
Would it be hard to do the mentioned, IDK but it does not look as hard as you think. A little drilling and soldering maybe. I'll post if I ever have to do it.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 18, 2016, 09:05:22 PM
Well you tend to bash Bachmann so much

Completely false.

Why so sensitive to that comment?

Have you ever tried any Bachmann products besides engines.

I take that is a question?  If so, the answer is "yes".

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on their products.

Thank you.  I go off of what I read here (before it gets deleted of course) and other places.

My posed question still stands. ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

...if I ever have to do it.

If the case is you never have done it, what puts you in the position to make these statements...

Would it be hard to do the mentioned, IDK but it does not look as hard as you think. A little drilling and soldering maybe.
???

You are right, you don't know.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 18, 2016, 09:12:56 PM
Well you tend to bash Bachmann so much

Completely false.
There are more negative on Bachmann than positive. Track,controllers,switches, etc.

Why so sensitive to that comment?
As a Bachmann user I feel you degrade the product. I have been using them for years with no major problems

Have you ever tried any Bachmann products besides engines.

I take that is a question?  If so, the answer is "yes".
Name  it and prove it/

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on their products.

Thank you.  I go off of what I read here (before it gets deleted of course) and other places.
You answered what I have been talking about with "before they get deleted".

My posed question still stands. ;)
By looking at one of my turnouts (all numbered one's) the only difference would be to put a small hole in the roadbed to feed the wire through. everything else is the same. If you would like I could in time do this to one of my standard turnouts that is not used anymore and report back? While your at it hold your breath and wait for my answer.