Model railroad season up north

Started by Trainman203, October 18, 2016, 07:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Ok, we have talked about model railroad season down South .  It's about to start up north .  At least that's what Model Railroader magazine tells us every year around this time.  Let's hear about from our northerly friends.

WoundedBear

Well........it's been snowing for a week already here. Does that tell you anything? lololol

Sid

jbrock27

Who listens/takes verbatim, what Model Railroader has to say?!   :D

PS- It got to 80 F or so here today.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Haha Brock you got that right.  :D I still have a subscription but there's progressively less of interest to me over time.  My MPHS quarterly journal is a lot more interesting.

Jhanecker2

All year round  is model railroad season for me  .  I have grass to cut  in  Summer  and  Snow to  deal with in Winter all of the former with  power tools . Since I got older  I am more sun sensitive  so spending  time out of  sunlight  is  a  necessity   as is  air conditioning  .  When I was working  in Chicago I often did not see the sun outdoors for months ,  it was dark  when I left the house and  almost dark when I left work .  So spending  time indoors is my normal environment . I do spend time outdoors  I just  don't  do as much as I used to and have to cover up a bit more.  Building stuff is one of the things  I enjoy doing whether miniature or full size . John2.

jbrock27

Thanks TM :)  I think it revolves around heavily relying on advertising.  Hard to get a true, unbiased opinion when there is some form of "sponsoring" involved...  One reason I have always liked Consumer Reports as a publication so much.

For me, I model when the desire strikes me and time permits all year round.  Sometimes it is upgrading items, shopping for items and working on the layout.  Although like JH2, outdoor maintenance requires my time and attention.  Plus, warm weather means fishing season cuts into train time.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

We are getting ready to have a run of pure blue sky 70 degree days.  October weather here.  It is very difficult to stay inside with the layout on such days.

Ken G Price

My layout is in a large not insulated and not climate controlled building.
So for me, model railroad season is any time of day, when I fell like working on or running trains on my layout, and it is not to hot or not to cold. 
Fall, Winter, Spring, or summer are the same here in NorCal.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Ken G Price on October 22, 2016, 07:21:13 PM

Love the NorCal weather! My grandfather never owned an a/c unit his entire life.

RAM

Well one of my sisters passed away.  So I made the trip to N.J. My thinking was that it will be cool in late Oct.  80 the first day,but than a cool front moved in. So now I am back in Ok. and it is to be in the 80s most of the week.   

jbrock27

Sorry for your loss.

What town in Jersey were you in?
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

Lakehurst.  After the services I when up to Bartley, up by Budd Lake, and followed the old railroad right of way down past the farm, where I lived 70 years ago.  Then we went to Long valley to the school I went to.High Bridge.  It was say, 70 years ago the railroad cleared the right or way. Small farms were along the tracks.  Now trees have all but taken over every thing.

Ken G Price

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 22, 2016, 08:08:06 PM
Quote from: Ken G Price on October 22, 2016, 07:21:13 PM

Love the NorCal weather! My grandfather never owned an a/c unit his entire life.

Well here in Lake County it is more like high desert climate. Can be below freezing at night in the winter and over 100 during the days in the middle of summer. But one swamp cooler and a fan or two works just fine. ;D
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

jward

for me, winter is more model railroading season. summer is railfanning reason. I would much rather be trackside than cooped up indoors, but winter in the mountains, or along the rivers, can be quite brutal with the constant wind. it must be nice to live in a place where temps stay above freezing all year long.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

James in FL

Quoteit must be nice to live in a place where temps stay above freezing all year long.

;)