News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-2 model 80102

Started by elvira43, October 21, 2016, 12:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

In the 14 years my repair shop was open, I saw a LOT of weird mechanical issues that were not obvious at first glance.

To me the key points are:

- The loco runs fine when it's upside down in a cradle, with power applied directly to the wheels/pickups.

- Upright on the track, the headlight stays on when the loco stops. It would go out if there were a short or dead spot.

So that pretty much narrows it down to some kind of mechanical issue. Maybe even a wad of pet hair in the mechanism.

After looking at the exploded diagram, there is one other possible explanation:

- The lower motor brush is worn out. Upside down, gravity would keep it in contact with the commutator. Right side up, vibration may make it lose contact after running a short distance. Not as likely as a mechanical issue, but not impossible.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

elvira43

It ran about one foot on a 36 inch section of powered flex track . It did not cross any joiners.

jbrock27

Thank you, at last, for this descriptive response.  

Now knowing this, I have to lean then toward what Len has suggested.  E, do you have the ability to take the loco apart for internal inspection?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

one thing I have often found to be a cause of binding is a piece of grit getting in the gearbox. if this is the case, the locomotive will bind in both directions. once you find it, the grit can usually be picked out of the gear teeth with a hobby knife or small screwdriver. but to find it you will probably have to disconnect the worm gear from the other gears, and turn the wheels by hand while observing the gears very carefully.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

elvira43

Yes I have the skill set to dis-assemble and inspect. I was just hoping someone else had experienced the same issue and would be able to steer me in the right direction. Thanks ,I will post results of inspection.