News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Label Makers

Started by jbrock27, October 23, 2016, 11:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Anyone have one of these that they like, used for such things for example, as making labels for a control panel?  I see many digital ones advertised now.

Thanks, appreciate any assistance.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

I have an older DYMO label point 100. I use it to label everything.

Len

I use one of these:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/865073/Brother-PTP700-Label-Maker-56-x/

The tape is a bit pricey, but deals can be found and a cartridge lasts quite awhile. The tape is also available in several colors, as well as clear.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jhanecker2

I happen to use the old Manual DYMO  label maker for some things , but I have an older  model  CASIO  Label maker for most other labels .  It can utilize different width Label tapes and     there are different colors . I believe  office Depot/ office Max  still sells the tapes.  I will try to get the model numbers tomorrow.
the equipment is in the shop , where I make labels for the small & medium parts drawers .  John2.

jbrock27

Thank you very much for your responses gentlemen.  Appreciate the help.  Thank you JH2 for researching that.  No rush, whenever you get to it is fine with me.

One thing I have read about the hand held Dymo ones I commonly see advertised at STAPLES, is they eat batteries.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

No problem's here with batteries only with the wife nagging about the label's everywhere, come to think of it I get nagged on at work for sticky's all over my desk   ???

James in FL

Hey Jim,
Just thinking outside the box for a minute.
What about a laminated decal, or a print, on some clear plastic sheet, that would be used for an old overhead projector". Sized to fit.
You could make the back ground color anything you would like, or leave it clear.
Your choice of font and size.
I think this is very doable with an Ink-jet.
?

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on October 23, 2016, 08:16:37 PM
I get nagged on at work for sticky's all over my desk

Is that bc you have such a difficult time remembering things? ;)

That is a good outside the box suggestion James.  I have a wireless, but don't know offhand if it is laser or ink jet.  I liked the thought of the label maker bc it is easily portable; the layout and I are not in the same locale.  Plus, I might find a label maker useful for other, non model train related things.  Not that I would not find making my own decals useful.  Where would I find overhead projector plastic sheet?  Home office stores?
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

http://www.staples.com/C-Line-Laser-Printer-Plain-Paper-Copier-Film-Clear/product_155661

It was just a wag and I threw it out there.

Maybe cost prohibitive?

Could also be used for windows in your buildings.

Jhanecker2

To jbrock 27 : Finally got out to  take a look and found that  it is a Casio Label it  model #KL 7200 .  it has a "QWERTY" key board , and  uses 6 , 9 , 12, and 18 mm.  tapes .  The  tapes allow up to   four lines of  letters depending on letter size .   They also come  in  different colors & backgrounds .  Casio  Label makers/printers are still available  as well as tape for them at office supply & other stores .  Check the internet for dealers .   They are powered by  6 AA batteries or by adapters , so they  can be portable .  Mine is still working well .    The instruction  manuals   are available on the internet to check out the machine capabilities .  Font style is limited  to one type , but foreign languages are addressed  in the letter set .  Hope this helps  John2.

Ken G Price

Quote from: Len on October 23, 2016, 02:43:12 PM
I use one of these:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/865073/Brother-PTP700-Label-Maker-56-x/

The tape is a bit pricey, but deals can be found and a cartridge lasts quite awhile. The tape is also available in several colors, as well as clear.

Len

I need to get a label maker and this model seems about right. Being a BROTHER product it may just do.
Got to see if one of the stores has it in stock.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

jbrock27

Thank you for the help and the link James.

Thank you for researching that JH2.

Query: Do BROTHER products have a better reputation than DYMO or CASIO products?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 26, 2016, 08:55:35 PM
Query: Do BROTHER products have a better reputation than DYMO or CASIO products?

I switched to BROTHER after two CASIO label makers self destructed. I've had no problems with the BROTHER.

Len

jbrock27

Thank you Len :)

Are there certain features that are good to have?  Others, not so much when it comes to using them for model train work?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

If you're on Windows, or using a Windows emulator on Linux, you can download the P-Touch Editor 5.1 from the Brother web page. It makes manipulating text and images within labels easier than trying to do it from a word processor, while still using all the fonts and clipart you may have.

Len