News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What would you recommend for sound

Started by drmanny3, October 24, 2016, 10:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmanny3

I just purchased the g scale Grizzly Flats Emma Nevada 2-6-0 & TENDER 81489.  I understand that it has a decoder built in with a 21 pin connector.  I would like to add sound.  What do you recommend?  This unit will be in my office on a trestle.  I have a transformer from another Bachmann train.  I am hoping that I can use it.  So this is for display at this time.  I have a older 2=6=0 spectrum Denver unit that is not working.  I understand that I can send it in and have it serviced?  It has a Phoenix sound card but I don't think that will work in this new loco.  While I retired I do not have much experience with trains, so I am looking forward to your assistance.
Regards,
Manny

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Manny,

Your old Phoenix should work fine in the new loco.  If you are not so inclined to move it a new Phoenix sound unit would be an outstanding choice.

As for your repair options, I would recommend you give the service department a call and let them know you have a sound system installed.  If the problem is just a bad gear you might be able to fix it your self.  Here is a link to a how to post:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19904.0.html

Enjoy your new Locomotive!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Bucksco

I installed a SoundTraxx Eco400 DCC/Sound card in mine and it worked well with great sound.

drmanny3

Loco Bill you indicated that I could probably use my old sound card Phoenix in the new locomotive.  The new locomotive has a 21 pin connector.  I guess I would not be able to use that connector.  Are you saying that I could hook it up in another way?  The old system was installed back in around 2006.
Thanks,
Manny

drmanny3

How did you install the SoundTraxx Eco400 DCC/Sound card?  My loco has the 21 pin connector.  Did you use it or did you install in another way.  Is there a schematic that tells you what wires to connect to what parts of the OEM board?
Thanks,
Manny

StanAmes

There are several RC and DCC plug an play boards that can be plugged directly into the socket.  For example the Zimo plug and play decoder.

You can also use the adaptor board in the parts bag to connect with many other DCC and RC units.  For example the Soundtraxx decoder

When adding sound for DC operation it is easiest to connect the sound board to the solder pads on the main board in the tender.  You can also solder the wires to the pads on the DC dummy plug.

The manual contains a description of each  pin on the connector.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Loco Bill Canelos

Manny, 

Stan is way smarter than I am on decoders, follow his advice!!   I missed the fact you said you had the decoder and I was referring to a DC or battery setup.  My apologies!! :-[

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

The mogul has the large scale "standard" plug-and-play socket in the tender; 23 pins in two rows about 2" apart. That's different from the NEM 21-pin DCC socket which many small scale manufacturers are migrating to. It does not come with a DCC decoder already installed, unless the dealer did it specifically for you, in which case I would wonder why the heck the dealer would not have installed a sound decoder already. Factory-fresh, the loco is set up for analog DC only, with no sound.

So, if you're looking to run the loco on analog DC, but you also want sound, then Phoenix is probably your best bet. Other options include Dallee and MyLocoSound. They're a little less expensive than the Phoenix, but less full-featured.

If you're looking to convert the loco to DCC, then you've got a handful of very good options open to you. QSI and Zimo make decoders which will plug directly into the large scale socket in the tender. That's the "easy" way to do business. Note that both the QSI and Zimo decoders will allow you to run your locomotive on analog DC and still get the sounds, but your ability to control them (i.e, blow the whistle and ring the bell) may be limited. I've not played with the Zimo decoder yet to know if that is possible with their board. The QSI board allows you to hook up external magnetic triggers for the sounds. I've got the new mogul here, and I installed the QSI board for testing purposes. Works very well.

Other options for DCC sound would be ESU Loksound, Soundtraxx (Econami and Tsunami2) and TCS WowSound. (The large-scale versions of the TCS WowSound and Tsunami2 boards are not yet available, but both manufacturers expect to have them very shortly. Soundtraxx's large scale Econami is available, and works very well. I've got one in my Bachmann K-27.

Later,

K

drmanny3

Thanks for the great suggestions.  I have another unit that I purchased as well (c-19).  When they arrive I will open up the tender and take a look at the installed pcb and post a picture. I am afraid that I may misspeak when it comes to specifically what is included on the platform.  I called in to Soundtraxx and the fellow spoke to me for at least 10 minutes.  Fantastic company. 
Manny