News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Annie pilot trucks

Started by mjltuk, October 21, 2016, 04:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjltuk

Is the New Generation Annie pilot truck a direct replacement for the Old Generation Annie truck?

If not what can be done to make it fit. We are all battery/RC so I am not concerned about electrical connections.

Many Thanks

mike

Loco Bill Canelos

Mike,

No the new generation front truck is not a direct replacement.  I have been  told that some have drilled a hole at the front of the chassis bottom and attached the new generation truck in that manner. It may require some bending of the arm I seem to recall.  

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mjltuk

Many Thanks Bill

Given the speed with which the New Generation trucks sold out there could be a lot of Bachmann Annie users who were disappointed - or a lot who were ingenious and are just a bit shy of showing us all how its done!

Pictures please!

Loco Bill Canelos

It is not surprising to me because installing it is pretty much as simple as I described.   I have not had any problems with the old front trucks like some reported in the past.  I lubed the slot they ride in with plastic compatible grease and use a small screwdriver(if necessary) to push the wires out of the way if they are interfering with the movement of the truck.

Some of my friends who had several 4-6-0's bought the new front trucks and installed them on all their older locomotives which is likely why they sold out. 

Since you are all battery R/C if the wires on the old truck are in the way just cut them off, and grease the slot. If your track is reasonably well laid and level side to side the old truck should be just fine til the new ones are back in stock.

Nonetheless, anyone have a pic they can post showing how they did it???

Bill

mjltuk

Many Thanks again Bill

We haven't had any wiring to the truck for about ten years (electrical connection to track is not a good idea with Batt/RC), we have added extra weight to the truck and yes all our track is laid pretty much level.

But my front truck still derails and regularly falls to pieces. I'm guessing its just worn out and that's why I want to replace it.

veetwelve

Hi Mike,

For photos, if not a complete "how-to," check out George Schreyer's website (link below) for details about mounting the front truck in the "new" fashion.  Just scroll down to the section entitled "Derailments."

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#derailments

All the best,
Jay

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All,  Mike, Jay,

George's site is really great, but sometimes is out of date.  The link to Barry's Big Trains no longer works.  Barry made a great swing arm replacement truck as mentioned by George, but unfortunately health issues have forced Barry out of the Large Scale train business.  I have not heard from Barry for two years now.   In fact Barry's front truck was pretty much the inspiration for the new Bachmann front truck in the Annie.

While I had forgotten about Barry's front truck I was reminded that some of my friends made their own similar truck using a brass swing arm and either the entire old front truck or parts from the old front truck. Some felt weight was not needed with the new method.  The key is to make sure the truck has enough play side to side as well as front to back to allow it to adjust to some extent to bad track.

As I have said many times in the past bad track and two foot curves are almost always the culprit when frequent derailments become a problem.   When frequent derailments are happening on a layout, always suspect the track first. 

Bill

If you have some skills it is not a real difficult.

petertoot

Hi,just a thought does anyone check the gauge of the front truck on annie, to wide or to narrow they may derail,I use an Aristo track gauge for all the rolling stock,well woth the ten bucks,cheers from downunder☺☺☺