News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger Car's

Started by HoModeler, October 29, 2016, 08:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

jbrock:

I have no desire to get into an argument here.  There is a lot of junk sold at train shows. This is why that stuff must be subject go close scrutiny before purchasing.

But there can be real bargains found at train shows, mostly in the form of new-old-stock, maybe in out-of-production road names.  These items are new, but maybe not the latest design.  Generally, these things have been around someone's hobby shop for awhile, and are sold at a discount.

A second-hand hobby shop?  I've never seen one of those, but I'd check it out.

Les

jbrock27

Quote from: Desertdweller on November 03, 2016, 12:50:50 PM
I have no desire to get into an argument here.

Les

Nor do I Les.  It is unfortunate it may be assumed that I desire to, when all I am doing is merely offering a different point of view and raising some simple and straightforward questions for food for thought.  Trying to broaden a somewhat myopic view of things, if you will. 

I mistook your mentioning buying second hand items at hobby shops to mean such shops are "second hand hobby shops" as I have never seen anything but New items for sale at hobby shops.

Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

James in FL

@HoModeler,
Don't ever throw anything away.  You eventually will do something with it.  8)
The place you keep all this stuff is aka Bash Box, Scrap drawer, Parts bin, or something similar.
If you can't use it, a fellow modeler has been looking a long time for it, give it to him.
But it is true, in fact, that the disposal of anything model rail related is strictly prohibited and punishable by law.  ;D (You might get your Model Railroad Card revoked). :o ::)
(Bad cars can be made good better.)
Also consider @Len's advice about the truck tuner, IMO a necessary tool if you like the older, vintage stuff.
@jbrock and @Desertdweller and @Trainman203, offer good advice as to educating one's self. The smart buyer does their homework.

ca·ve·at emp·tor
/ˌkavēˌät ˈem(p)ˌtôr/
noun
noun: caveat emptor
the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

Some don't like eBay, some do.
Some don't like train shows, some do.
Garage sales, estate sales, yard sales, flea market, same thing.
All kind of a moot point.
The OP is asking for recommendation of "new decent passenger cars."
I don't have anything to recommend because I am ignorant of HO models, I don't model your scale.
Hopefully somebody gets this back on track and can offer some personal experience advice.
You tell me, what's your choice of manufacturers? What's available? Got links?
How do you rate your modeling skills?
Are you willing to bash?
What year(s) are you modeling??
What cars do you need ? Coaches. Diners, Sleepers, etc. ???

Len

Before any recommendation on passenger cars can be made, a key question needs to be answered by the OP:

What size curves do you have on your layout??

It makes a difference. There's no point to recommending cars that require a 24" minimum radius if your layout only has 18" and 22" curves.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

HoModeler

Quote from: Len on November 05, 2016, 01:07:36 AM
Before any recommendation on passenger cars can be made, a key question needs to be answered by the OP:

What size curves do you have on your layout??

It makes a difference. There's no point to recommending cars that require a 24" minimum radius if your layout only has 18" and 22" curves.

Len

I have pretty big radius's on my layout...The only tighter radius I have is the one that goes from my 3 track passenger station & Fright Tracks up to my main 2 layout tracks.

If it helps I have a UP Big Boy Steam Engine (articulating frame) & my big boy goes around my layout & switches with no problems at all... Only draw back was when I got my Big Boy I had to move scenery (Back) mainly telephone poles & some bushes LOL

HoModeler

I Found a Passenger car Bachmann Sells...

Bachmann #4536
PRR Postwar Tuscan Red & Yellow Coach Car
$54.32

This is just about where I want to be price wise & the RR I am looking for I take either PRR or LVRR but its been hard finding LVRR stuff & if I do find LVRR its expensive stuff.

jbrock27

Here's his layout right here:

Quote from: trainmainbrian on February 21, 2014, 10:25:41 PM
http://s35.photobucket.com/user/maintrackbrian/library/?sort=3&page=1

Hi everyone I have some new photos in my photo library if anyone is interested.... FEATURED is my Bachmann Acela Passenger Train on my layout...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

If you can find them, MTH made a set of 5 LVRR cars, plus a 2 car add on pack.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

James in FL

These guys are trying to help you.
They need specific information to do that.
Unless you provide that information a satisfactory answer cannot be expected.

@Len asks
QuoteWhat size curves do you have on your layout??

Your reply to him is not only vague but also subjective.
QuoteI have pretty big radius's on my layout...The only tighter radius I have is the one that goes from my 3 track passenger station & Fright Tracks up to my main 2 layout tracks

???

Joe323

From experience unless you get up very early you are not going to find trains at those front lawn junk sales many call yard sales.  Reason very simple mention the word train and the early birds come in and scoo them up.  At least that's what happened at my yard sale.  Even the train set stuff was gone.

HoModeler

Quote from: Joe323 on November 06, 2016, 09:53:29 PM
From experience unless you get up very early you are not going to find trains at those front lawn junk sales many call yard sales.  Reason very simple mention the word train and the early birds come in and scoo them up.  At least that's what happened at my yard sale.  Even the train set stuff was gone.

I agree I stopped @ a local Yard sale in my neighborhood & the woman was selling (Life Like & TYKO) HO Rolling Stock. Cheap 50 Cents a car A few looked OK but I can tell by looking not worth even the 50 cents she was asking for each car.

FYI... The Passenger cars I had but wound up throwing them out was (Hand Me Down's) Maybe that's why that person did not want them for his layout anymore. But anyway new Trucks & Steel Wheels could not help those cars

HoModeler

There's Junk Sold @ Train Meet's too.
There's a Train meet twice a year in my Area called I believe

The 1st Frost Train Meet  &   The Spring Thaw
Held @ the Allentown PA - AG Hall   Maybe some of you have been there

I went to that meet 1 time paid the $7.00 admission fee but was overly disappointed with the show
89% of the show was all Big Scale Stuff & the Few HO Guys that had tables there wanted a small fortune for there stuff & it was mainly Junk. What a waist if you ask me I don't care about the $7.00 but mainly the Show itself.

jbrock27

Quote from: Joe323 on November 06, 2016, 09:53:29 PM
...mention the word train and the early birds come in and scoo them up.  At least that's what happened at my yard sale.

Staten Island Joe, how would you categorize the majority of train items you were selling at your Yard Sale?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Question for ya here, Joe...
Keep Calm and Carry On