News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Connie with broken gear

Started by Hochbahn, November 03, 2016, 07:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hochbahn

Hi Folks
Yesterday one of the gears within the gear drive of my large scale Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation was damaged. Part # is G813X-0AY02. Unfortunately this item is marked "Sold" in the parts shop. I would be very happy if one of these gears can still be found . Any idea ??
Thanks Gerd

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Gerd,

Perhaps you looked at the wrong part.  The gear and axle shows being in stock:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=10285

Good luck with your repair.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Hochbahn

Hi Bill,

thanks for prompt reply. The damaged gear I#m looking for is one of the compound gears within the gear box, not the one on the axle, which I've already replaced some time ago. The spare part # is  G813X-0AY02, see at the bottom of the following link :

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_69_142&sort=20a&page=5.

Cynthia from the PARTS DEPARTMENT told me the item is ordered, but she couldn't give a specific time as to when the part will be at Bachmann.

Any idea where to get one ???

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Gerd,

My apologies for my mistaken identification, but the only other possibility might be NWSL.  I am not sure they can help, but here is the Link:

http://nwsl.com/NWSL_Online_Catalog.html

Bill

Hochbahn

Hi Bill,

sorry for late response. Was out for a couple of days. Dave Rygmyr from NMSL told me that the compound gear requetsed would be a brand new gear for them. So I'm thinking about printing that gear with a 3-D-printer. Hope that works.

Gerd

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Gerd,

Thanks for the feedback.  Shame they don't have the gear you need.  What a great idea about trying to make the gear with a 3D printer.

If you try it let us know how it works out.   Good luck,

Bill

Hochbahn

Hi Bill,

Good news. I've just received my new compound gear from Shapeways. They were doing the printing based on the 3-D model I've created using Tinkercad, a web based application. Part of Tinkercad is a very helpful software tool called ProGear (look for shape generators / community). This small program is really great and allows you to modify nearly everything regarding a gear.

For my compound gear I've chosen PLA (polylactic acid). Due to the printing process the gear has a somewhat rough surface, but after some running time this should be a not problem anymore. Really happy now and my Connie is back on the rails.

Attached are some useful links. Will send photos by email.

https://www.tinkercad.com/
http://www.shapeways.com/?ca=gp&ct=sem&cr=dynamictop&gclid=CP6qleGv4tACFUHGGwodXyEIGA

Gerd

Loco Bill Canelos

Gerd,

What a great way to get it running again!!  Thanks for the feedback. It may be helpful to others needing that service.

Please let us know how the new gear performs over time from a durability standpoint.  The pictures you sent were very interesting, the new gear is a perfect fit and at least in the photo did not look all that rough.  I am curious as to what the cost was to do just the one gear??   Maybe there is a business opportunity here ;D

Happy Holidays!!

Bill

Hochbahn

Hi Bill,

cost was not that high. I've ordered 2 gears (just in case) for a about 24 Euro (cost per gear 7,20 Euro, plus shipping and tax). In my case Shapeways was shipping from the Netherlands where they have additional printing facilities. Let you know how the gear works over the time.

Gerd 

Castle Jct

Gerd:

I found your posting very interesting & possibly helpful.  I also have a consolidation in need of that gear.  Will Shapeways have a record on file for making that gear?  Who can I contact there to order a couple of these gears?  Any help you can give me sure would be appreciated.   I can be reached at castlejctrr@yahoo.com  Thanks again, Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Bernie

Hochbahn

Hi Bernie,

sorry for very late response. Was on business trip last month. Will send you the relevant stl-file per email as well as some pictures of the "new" gear. You may upload the stl-file to Shapeways for 3D printing or just ask a local 3D printing service for doing the job. For creating the stl-file I've used Tnkercad as you can see in my previous post. The hole for the axle was a little bit tight, but I could fix this easely using the right drill. Let me know if everything went fine.

Gerd

tac

Now that 3D printing is becoming ever more popular - and economical - this HAS to be the way for hard-to-replace factory parts for models that are no longer in production.

The ever-increasing number of items for our large scale trains is impressive - here in UK we have a small company that makes all kinds of add-on detail parts for scratch-builders, particularly those who build lokies and similar little diesels.

It's an interesting time to be alive in LS, that's for sure.

tac
OVGRS