Replacement axle gear for 1987 Flying Scot 4-6-0

Started by nprovenzo, November 04, 2016, 03:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nprovenzo

Hello,

I'm looking to replace the axle gear for a late '80s Bachmann Flying Scot 4-6-0. The Bachmann parts office is not able to help.

Here's the gear info:

Gear OUTSIDE DIAMETER (tooth tip to tooth tip):  12.5 mm
Gear INSIDE DIAMETER (bore hole or shaft size): 2 mm
Gear WIDTH: 9.5 mm
24 teeth
Straight teeth
Plastic

The axle part of the gear is 9.5 mm wide while the gear itself is 1.25 mm wide.

Thanks in advance for your help.  :)

nprovenzo

Anyone know what the usual turnaround for the NWSL folks might be? I submitted my search form but haven't heard back.

WoundedBear

406-375-7555

Phone them on Monday and talk to Dave. Most of these "online" forms are a waste of time.

Sid

Searsport

Do you mean Royal Scot? The Flying Scotsman was a 4-6-2.

Bachmann dramatically improved the chassis for its Royal Scot / Patriot class 4-6-0s some years ago (maybe early 2000s) and the older parts may not be available, but they do, or did, sell replacement chassis. Bachmann Branchline 35-150 Complete replacement motorised chassis unit for Jubilee, Patriot & Royal Scot. See here (currently out of stock, but it is a lead): http://www.hattons.co.uk/9863/Bachmann_Branchline_35_150_Complete_replacement_motorised_chassis_unit_for_Jubilee_Patriot_Royal_Scot/StockDetail.aspx

Best Regards,
Bill.

nprovenzo

Thank you for your help. The model I'm working on was called the "Flying Scot" and it is in fact a 4-6-0.

From the looks of it, it does seem like the link you reference would fit. Any idea who might sell that chassis?

WoundedBear

Might that be the same as the "Harry Potter" 4-6-0? The B'mann parts store has the driver set for that model.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_161

Sid

nprovenzo

I ordered a gear that should fit from NorthWest Short Line.

I'll share the results when I get the gear in the mail.

nprovenzo

The gear from NorthWest Short Line is performing admirably. Thanks to all those who offered assistance here.