News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reversing loops with EZ app

Started by trainsrme, July 05, 2016, 08:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainsrme

??? I am considering buying an EZ-installed engine but need to know how to deal with reversing loops.  Will an auto-reversing device (normally used for DC control of reversing loops) work with EZ app?

Flare

How do you plan to power your track?

E-Z App locomotives can run on either DC or DCC;  I haven't come across any pre-built DC reverse loop modules, so you'll probably have to build your own.  (Plenty of instructions available online)

Reverse loop modules are commercially available for DCC operation, but it's more expensive than a DC layout would be.

railtwister

If you treat the reverse loop like any properly wired DC layout controls a reverse loop, things should work out fine. As for automatic reverse loop controls, I know that EZ-Ap locos work fine on DCC powered rails, but I don't know how they would work on a DCC controlled auto-reverse loop. I suspect they would behave like any DCC loco, but I haven't tried it myself (you might get a clue by running your loco on a test track using DC wired though a dpdt reverse switch and see if flipping the direction has any ill effect on the EZ-Ap locos direction). Warning: Only switch direction once, so you don't cause the EZ-Ap board to try to switch into analog DC mode.

The only reason I can think of to justify running an EZ-Ap loco on DCC, is if you are adding that loco to an existing DCC layout, but adding DCC power to your existing EZ-Ap or DC layout just to control a reverse loop probably wouldn't justify the expense & complication. However, if you are running just EZ-Ap locos on your layout, wanting a reverse loop might be a good enough reason to consider adding on-board battery power (also known as "dead rail") to your locomotives.

Bill in FtL

Grapevine Flyer

The board in E-Z Apps manages train direction and isn't concerned with the polarity of the rails (just like in DCC). So auto-reverse loops should not pose a problem.

railtwister

Quote from: Grapevine Flyer on July 31, 2016, 02:16:02 PM
The board in E-Z Apps manages train direction and isn't concerned with the polarity of the rails (just like in DCC). So auto-reverse loops should not pose a problem.

The big question is how it would act when the auto-reverse switches the polarity. It could just keep running normally like a decoder does, or it could see the polarity change as a power interruption, and go into shut down, or it could just lose the control signal but keep running away, requiring an emergency stop. The only way to be sure is to try it out, but my modules aren't presently set up to allow me to try it. Maybe Dave Rees will see this thread and comment (or we could email him directly).

Bill in FtL

airferber

If Reverse Loops are being used, I would stroungly recommend using a constant DCC Signal for your layout, since an EZ-App/Bluerail equipped engine can be powered on a DCC Line since these engines are designed to operate independent of other trains and at a constant voltage.

Hope this helps,

Aaron