Porter 0-4-2 DCC Change of direction problem

Started by thike669, November 29, 2016, 03:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thike669

I´ve just got a new Porter 0-4-2 DCC with Tsunami Sound Decoder. The engine runs smooth. But if I change the direction from forward to backward or the other way the locomotive doesn´t move until the throttle is on 12th speed step. Strangely the exhaust chuff starts at the first speed step. I´ve already "played" with the starting voltage, the accelertion rate, the speed tabel and the forward and backward trims. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Bucksco

Perhaps reset the decoder to it's default settings?

dutchbuilder

thike669

Thank you for your answers. I´ve already tried CV 8 to 8. The problem isn´t solved. I took a short video. Probably it will help to understand what´s wrong. First the porter runs with sound then I turned it off. Then you can hear a light buzz from the locomotive but it doesn´t move. After some seconds and opening the throttle the porter starts to run.
https://youtu.be/hDQSj7VIE4g

Thanks for every help.

dutchbuilder

I can come up with two reasons.
It is pure speculation.
1; the motor is damaged and can't deliver power.
2; the gear, wheel assembly is sticking somewhere.
The only way to check this is to remove the motor and move the chassis by hand and feel if there is something sticking and not running free.

Ton

thike669

Thank you Ton

I've already guessed that I have to do that.

2foot6

If it's a new loco,why not send it back to Bachmann for repair or replacement?....Peter

thike669

Yes I'm also considering sending the Porter back. Unfortunately it's connected whith high shipping costs and a lot of paperwork.

dutchbuilder

Quote from: thike669 on December 05, 2016, 05:44:54 AM
Yes I'm also considering sending the Porter back. Unfortunately it's connected whith high shipping costs and a lot of paperwork.

I live in die Niederlande, so for for me it is also no option.

Ton

2foot6

The same thing in Australia,the high cost of postage,it's almost as cost effective to buy a new loco on ebay than return the faulty unit...........eg    042 Porter cost $68.18    plus $26 postage (new)
                                     Return postage for a faulty   042 Porter is $63.00.......Peter