News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC and DCC questions

Started by pilot2fly, November 15, 2016, 01:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilot2fly

Hi gents,

I just purchased my first train set. I bought the Bachmann Challenger trainset that is DC powered (analog). It comes with EZ Track and the newer speed controller that can connect to the EZ Command Control Center. I am wondering if the EZ track in this train set is DCC ready. Meaning, if I buy a EZ Command Control Center, Can I plug it in and start using multiple DCC trains at once? Or do I need to upgrade my EZ track to make it DCC ready?

Here is a link to the Challenger set I bought: http://www.hobbylinc.com/bachmann-challenger-set-ho-scale-model-train-set-00621?source=froogle&gclid=CjwKEAiAgavBBRCA7ZbggrLSkUcSJACWDexAz_24E_EO8PkI-DT3j_zPB4f39Sxce-BxJ-jlb9YqZhoC7Mjw_wcB

Jhanecker2

To pilot 2 fly : All HO scale track will work with  DC & DCC  controllers .  Steel track is usually sold with sets , but Nickel Silver track stays cleaner long and is easier to solder to . If you are going to continue using EZ track you will find a greater diversity of track types in Nickel-Silver.  Please note that DCC requires greater amount of care in installation as loss of electrical continuity will cause the decoder to reset .  Also get a book on track wiring to help you with the requirements for carefree running . John2.

Flare

The locomotive in that set probably isn't capable of being converted to DCC.

If I were in your situation, my next purchase would be the Bachmann Digital Commander set:  It comes with the EZ Command Control Center, two DCC-equipped locomotives, another set of freight cars, and its own oval of track.

Len

Instructions for converting the Bachmann F9 to DCC can be found here:

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/EMD%20F9/EMD_F9.html

Althought the website is for TCS decoders, the instructions will work for pretty much any manufacturers decoder that follows the NMRA wiring color codes. Some soldering is required.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.