News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Peco On30 Track

Started by canpac, November 17, 2016, 11:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canpac

Have been musing about doing an On30 layout using Peco On30 track and turnouts instead of ME track and turnouts, although I have lots of ME turnouts and track. Turnouts with Peco seem a little more user friendly. Any thoughts on my musings ? Anyone else gone this route ?

dutchbuilder

I started with PECO and are still using it.
The tye spacing and length are English standard and not US.
The most problems i have are with the selfswitching switches.
The contacts will foul up and stop functioning.
In a module i am making i use handtrows with a frog polarisation switch and the problem is gone.
Have to tell you that i live in the Netherlands and PECO is more readily availlable then ME.
If your are not a rivet counter it is excellent stuf to use.

Ton

Anubis

I agree with Ton.

The Peco track is very good, and properly weathered and ballasted, really looks the part.

Additionally, I agree that the turnouts have a very negative 'contact', relying only upon the small area of contact between the point blades and the adjoining rail web surfaces. These requires regular cleaning, to ensure good current flow. (It's a pity that Peco didn't adopt the additional 90 degree 'finger' contact point, as is used in their very reliable HO / OO turnouts.) Ton's solution seems quite good.

Apart from these small points (pun intended!) the Peco product fills the bill admirably!

John

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

canpac

Thanks guys for your input. Will let you know how things progress. Waiting for some Peco to arrive here.

canpac

Looking for some good instructions on how to install the Peco On30 Electrofrog turnouts on a layout that will be DCC. I am aware that some modifications have to be made to the underside of these turnouts to prevent shorts. How do you go about doing that in a proper way ? Want to do it right the first time.

Hunt

Quote from: canpac on December 26, 2016, 03:20:24 PM
Looking for some good instructions on how to install the Peco On30 Electrofrog turnouts on a layout that will be DCC. I am aware that some modifications have to be made to the underside of these turnouts to prevent shorts. How do you go about doing that in a proper way ? Want to do it right the first time.

Answer in another thread where you asked Click Here