News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

All-steam model railroads

Started by Trainman203, November 18, 2016, 01:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

The division for passenger trains was either 150 or 200 miles. 

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on November 22, 2016, 10:05:02 PM
The division for passenger trains was either 150 or 200 miles. 

Could only happen at a division point and they were between 100 and 125 miles apart.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Not every road had what would be called " modern steam".  The NO&NE, the T&NO east of Houston, and the L&N east of New Orleans never had the best and newest power, but rather the oldest and lightest because of local track conditions and also because they were somewhat the stepchildren of management. Nothing with a 4 wheel trailing truck ever ran on those lines.  Old heads from the L&N and T&NO all told me what maintenance hogs steam engines were.  One i knew very well and rode with often.

Maybe those big modern engine terminals way up east could flip an engine in a couple of  hours but i don't think it really happened much down here much.  And changing engines on trains at division points for maintenance reasons was the norm.  If not, why the roundhouse at every one?

Trainman203

It might seem odd to some, but railroading after 1966 is the curiosity for me.  That was the year I became non involved with railroading for many reasons, and did not look at trains for 40 years.   Curiosities to me include roller bearing trucks on everything, no roof walks or ladders on cars, low nose road switchers, 6 axle road engines, no cabooses, Amtrak trains, welded rail, concrete slabs in towns instead of depots, ROW without telephone poles, etc.  In other words, modern railroading is a curiosity to me.

I basically model the past because it is what is familiar to me.  In years past I'd go down to the railroad to see action and just soak up an incredible and historical environment ..... but .....  for me, it just ain't there no' mo'.

Steve Magee

Steam. Because diesels hadn't made it into the backwoods of Oregon and Washington states, on narrow gauge lines, in the 1920's. :-)

Steve Magee
On30 Lumber Mountain RR
Newcastle NSW Aust

Len

Guess I'm the odd man out.

My 'KL&B Eastern Lines Railroad Museum' has lots of steam, but it's set in the modern era. While steam was still around when I was a kid, the only time my daughter, and now my grandkids, ever saw steam was at a railroad museum. But they think the diesels are pretty cool. So to keep everybody happy, I have the "museum" for my steam, and the mainline for their diesels.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.