News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Just getting started

Started by NewGuy16, November 18, 2016, 08:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewGuy16

I'm looking to get my first HO train. I am looking at HO train sets.  I want to use DCC .What do I need to know about couplers and non-magnetic axles? I've looked at Bachmann 4-4-0 with wood tender Sante FE 91 Model 52704. I want to buy cars and a caboose to go with it. I don't know anything about the axles or couplers?

I have looked at a train set Bachmann Durango Silverton set. Will the Model 52704 work with the cars from the Durango Silverton?

is the Durango Silverton DCC ready or do I need to add it>

When buying cars, I prefer aquality car not just a cheap plastic one. What can you recommend?

jbrock27

Things to know:

* You want nickel silver track, espcially if wanting to run DCC
     * You want non magnetic wheel-sets in the event you would like to someday uncouple cars using, for instance, a Kadee track magnet sold for this purpose
     * You want knuckle couplers (all at the same height) that have a little metal spring that assist with the coupler opening and closing.  Bachmann EZ Mate Mark IIs have them as well as Kadee couplers.  Bachmann couplers are plastic, most of the ones Kadee sells are not

Read the description that comes with the item you are interested in, it will tell you a lot about it:

Durango & Silverton HO Scale Ready To Run Electric Train Set. Built originally as a mining line, the scenic value of the Durango & Silverton was quickly recognized in passenger service. After surviving natural disasters, wars, and financial instability, a determined staff (and starring roles in several Hollywood movies) promoted the tourism that ensures the line's survival to this day. Now recognized as a National Historic Landmark and a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, the Durango & Silverton continues to provide year-round tourist service. Our Durango & Silverton passenger set comes complete with:2-8-0 locomotive and tender with operating headlight, open excursion car, old-time combine car, old-time coach car, 47 x 38 oval of snap-fit E-Z Track, power pack, and speed controller. Age Rated 14 and Up. Complete Ready To Run Electric Train Set. 2-8-0 DCC ready locomotive and tender with operating headlight. Locomotive features a Limited lifetime warranty. Includes Bachmann's exclusive E-Z TrackĀ® system makes set-up quick, easy and fun! HO Scale 1:87.
Number of Pieces: -0
Includes: tracks, train accessories, train, train set, speed controller
Vehicle: Train
Vehicle Features: authentic markings, detailed features
Controller Features: Speed Control
Scale: HO Scale
Dimensions: 28.000 inchesH x 3.300 inchesW x 18.000 inchesL
Product Weight: 6.850 pounds
Material: plastic, metal
Suggested Age: 15, 18 Years and Up, 18, 17, 16, 14
Power Source: AC Adapter
Battery: no battery used,
Care and Cleaning: Wipe Clean with a Dry Cloth
Assembly Details: assembly required, no tools needed
Warranty Description: Lifetime Limited Warranty
TCIN: 16479965
UPC: 022899007106
Store Item Number (DPCI): 087-05-0837
Origin: Imported

Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Just like the ones on real trains, knuckle couplers from different manufacturers almost always work with each other.

Couplers are available as magnetic or non-magnetic for automatic uncoupling using an under-track magnet.

Locomotive number 52704 will work with the cars from the Durango Silverton set, and additional cars that match are available as well as cabooses.

Sadly, the D&S set is not a DCC starter set.  You will need a DCC controller and a decoder for the locomotive.  (Bachmann's model 44915 decoder has the 8-pin plug that matches the socket for easy installation)  The locomotive 52704 comes with a decoder already installed.

I've had pleasant experiences with Bachmann's cars, they don't disconnect randomly like an Athearn set I once had.

dutchbuilder

Keep in mind that the Durango & Silverton RR is 3 feet narrow gauge.
The set is standard gauge pretending to be D&S.

Ton

jbrock27

Quote from: Flare on November 19, 2016, 10:18:20 PM
Couplers are available as magnetic or non-magnetic for automatic uncoupling using an under-track magnet.

Have you come across any that don't come w/metal "air hoses"?  I have not; who makes those?  I have seen folks trim off the (metal) air hose though.

...disconnect randomly like an Athearn set I once had.

Might that have been bc they came with horn hook couplers??
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I suspect "non-magnetic couplers" = "dummy couplers".

Athearn was using somebody's 'plastic tab spring' couplers. They'd take a set, or break off, so the cars wouldn't stay coupled. Easy enough to change out with EZ-Mate-II or Kadee couplers. My LHS recently closed, so no idea what they're currently using.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 20, 2016, 07:42:12 AM

Have you come across any that don't come w/metal "air hoses"?  I have not; who makes those?  I have seen folks trim off the (metal) air hose though.

McHenry's 'lower shelf' couplers omit them:  http://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/mchenry-couplers/ho-scale-mchenry-couplers/ho-mchenry-coupler-31-lower-shelf-scale-size-coupler-1-pair-mch31/

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Flare on November 20, 2016, 12:12:23 PM
Quote from: jbrock27 on November 20, 2016, 07:42:12 AM

McHenry's 'lower shelf' couplers omit them:  http://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/mchenry-couplers/ho-scale-mchenry-couplers/ho-mchenry-coupler-31-lower-shelf-scale-size-coupler-1-pair-mch31/
'
TOU-CHE 8) ;D

jbrock27

Thanks for the 411. 

The only McHenry couplers I ever bought, are the ones that come w/metal knuckle springs and metal air hoses.  They're kissing cousins to EZ Mate Mark IIs (Jerry, you probably know all about kissing cousins, I bet. ;D)

Never bought fake couplers or ones w/o metal air hoses.  Maybe someone can enlighten me further and explain why someone would.

Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 20, 2016, 09:23:50 PM
(Jerry, you probably know all about kissing cousins, I bet. ;D)

You bet I do! I saw most of the Elvis movies if not all of them and "Kissin' Cousins" a million times
What your not an Elvis fan?

RAM

sergent couplers do not have air hoses.

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 20, 2016, 09:23:50 PM
Never bought fake couplers or ones w/o metal air hoses.  Maybe someone can enlighten me further and explain why someone would.

I'm not big on full blown passenger car switching operations, so use dummy couplers on "blocks" of passenger cars. Only the cars on the ends of a "block" get operating couplers. I also have a couple of "through" unit freight trains I do this with, that pretty much come and go to and from the staging yard.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Thanks for the info Len and RAMBO. Never bought Sergent couplers.

disconnect randomly like an Athearn set I once had.

So Flare, didya ever consider just replacing the couplers on them?  Definitely a lower cost alternative to replacing the cars and not very difficult to do.

Quote from: Jerrys HO on November 20, 2016, 09:50:30 PM
not an Elvis fan?

Nope, not at all, especially of his movies.  More of a Beatles guy.  I do like Johnny Cash though.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 21, 2016, 06:34:30 AM
disconnect randomly like an Athearn set I once had.

So Flare, didya ever consider just replacing the couplers on them?  Definitely a lower cost alternative to replacing the cars and not very difficult to do.

I did, but this was right before my switch to On30 and I got them so cheap that I didn't think they were worth the investment.

jbrock27

Ahhhh.  Thanks for 'splaining and getting back to me. :)
Keep Calm and Carry On