News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC power

Started by jmmrlm, November 21, 2016, 07:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmmrlm

All below related to DCC operations.
How do you get power for DCC operations to EZ track ?
How do you determine how much power you need to overcome voltage drop on EZ Track ?
If you need more power due to voltage drop, how do you provide it on EZ Track ?

Flare

If you're using a Bachmann DCC system, it should come with a cable that plugs into a terminal rerailer.  If using another brand, you can get a spare Bachmann cable and splice the connector onto your controller.

DCC uses alternating current, not direct current.  AC travels much farther than DC before showing a loss of voltage so depending on the size of your layout it may not be in issue;  If you have a large layout, you can use additional terminal rerailers as feeders.

The best way to overcome voltage drop is to use feeders every few feet.  But my DCC layout is roughly 30 feet long with only a single feed from the controller at one end and my trains have no problem running to the other end and back.

jmmrlm

thanks - that was really helpful.
by the way, did you mean "feeder" or "terminal rerailer".

Flare

'Feeder' is the term used for providing power to the rails.  Terminal rerailers are the best way to go on E-Z Track in my opinion:  If you want to use traditional terminal joiners as feeders the pre-installed joiners are amazingly difficult to remove without causing damage.

Alternatively you could use Bachmann's insulated gap tracks, they have the same connectors on the underside for a cleaner appearance if you want to drill holes under your roadbed and hide the feeder wires.  Sadly they're only available as straight sections and cost more than rerailers.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_366_367&products_id=2495

jbrock27

Terminal sections of track are ONE, albeit, EXPENSIVE way to go about bringing power the rails.  An alternative method is to solder wires either to the undersides of or in rail joiners, or directly to the sides of the rails.  You need, obviously, to have a decent soldering iron and appropriate tip to do this (a worthwhile investment if you ask me, it will pay for itself over time) and non acid based solder and non acid based flux.  And of course, wire of the usable gauge  ;).
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

soldering feeder wires should be a more reliable way to get power to the rails. But to use this method you need to have nickel silver track. The steel rail used in some ez track (black roadbed) is very difficult to solder to, and in all honestly shouldn't be used with dcc anyway.

The problem with using plug in connectors such as used with ez track is that they can work their way loose over time. the connections can oxidize or corrode, resulting in erratic operation. Remember, dcc trains are much more sensitive to contact issues than a regular dc train would be.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jeff DeTinne

Question, I just bought a used Bachman big haulers model train. Having trouble getting it to work. Is there a way to buy the DVD that came with it? Also should I be able to turn drive wheels with out power? Just learning. Want to do this for my grandson. Any polite help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Have a blessed day.

dutchbuilder

I can't help you with the DVD but turning the wheels probably is not possible because the motor has a worm gear.

Ton

jbrock27

JDT to best get help w/your question and simultaneously be polite, you would be better off to start a New Topic w/your question as opposed to putting it in, and effectively high jacking, this one.  Bless you.
Keep Calm and Carry On