News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomad season 1

Started by The train kid, November 25, 2016, 11:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The train kid

Been thinking about making a childhood dream come to life I've been wanting to create the original Thomas and friends in g scale which as a lot of people know was the original scale that Thomad and friends started off in befor CGI so my question is has anybody made the g scale thomas the tank engine into the original season 1?

Captain Crutch

Actually the original series was done in O scale. However I have seen somewhere somebody take a model series face and put it on a g scale model and it looked close enough to the original. Other than that I dunno what to tell you other than make sure you have good lighting.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

AJW98Productions

Quote from: HLC Railroad on November 25, 2016, 03:39:46 PM
Actually the original series was done in O scale. However I have seen somewhere somebody take a model series face and put it on a g scale model and it looked close enough to the original.
Actually that's a common misconception due to a mistake during an interview, unfortunately it was a mistake someone who actually worked on the show said, hence it's popularity. It was actually filmed in Gauge 1, which had the same track width as G scale. Effectively the difference between G scale and Gauge 1 is like the difference between HO and OO gauges, for the sake of comparison. That's why Thomas's face from the show almost fits the G scale model. If it was an O scale face and it almost fit a G scale model, the Bachmann G scale Thomas would be woefullly underscaled.

The original Narrow Gauge models were O scale though (the ones used primarily in season 4 and a few scenes in season 5), I believe that's were the misconception comes from. Rusty and the Boulder is a good example of this, they use the same boulder for the O Gauge Narrow Gauge Engines, and the larger ones, which makes it appear at different scales next to the engines. And the size of Rusty's face is also a good indication, it changes throughout the episode. When his face is larger, it is the larger model.

References:
http://lifestyle.howstuffworks.com/family/activities/movie-fun-night/how-thomas-the-tank-engine-works2.htm
http://www.sodor-island.net/behindthescenes.html#fnOscale
^ whilst it does mention O scale in one of the articles on this page, they do point out that it is misleading, due to it being said when season 4 was being filmed, and the narrow Gauge engines were filmed on a track that was the same width as O Gauge, whilst the standard Gauge engines were all filmed in Gauge 1.

Now, to answer the question by "the train kid", I'm not quite sure if you are referring to creating remakes of Season 1 episodes for platforms like YouTube, or if you actually want to modify your Bachmann Thomas into a model that looks closer to his season 1 appearance, so I can't really help much until I understand the post better :-\

~Alex

The train kid

I would like to modify it to be more like the season 1 thomas I've always wanted my own replicas of tje engines from the show.